Chapter 6.

*****

I walked through the hall half asleep as guided by the hushed sounds of worried a voice. What the hell was going on? I hissed as my foot hit something on the floor and looked down to see Dante's skateboard. Why couldn't he just put things in his room?! He always left stuff lying everywhere. I pushed the board aside with my foot and sighed.

"Eli!" I blinked sobering myself when Tamia screamed my name. My eyes followed her voice to Dante's room further down the hall. "Eli!"

"Tamia?" I mumbled. Why was she shouting this time of the night? Couldn't she just wake me up normally? Why didn't our parents care that she was making so much noise right? Wait, why was she at our house? She and Ashton lived on their own.

I followed her voice to Dante's room but paused at the door, spotting Tamia crouched beside his bed with Danté beside her on the floor. He was leaning over with Tamia's arm around his shoulders and looked like he needed help to stay upright. He was much skinnier than usual, his face sunken and drained. He looked terrible. I ran up to them and knelt down.

"Danté?"

I froze as he coughed before he pushed me aside and threw up beside him on the floor. I looked at his bed and grimaced seeing vomit all over it.

"What's going on? Where's Dad?" I asked Tamia as I lifted my hand to Dante's head while he covered his face as he continued to cough and my arm replaced our sister's to keep him upright. I felt his forehead. He was burning up.

"What do you mean 'where's Dad?'" she looked at me clearly hurt before our eyes moved back to our brother as he went limp in my arms.

"Danté? Hey. Hey, Danté, wake up." I patted his cheek lightly after I let him fall back against my chest.

"Danté, wake up." Tamia's voice was laced in panic as she shook him. I did not understand why until I listened to his breathing and there was none, immediately my focus moved to on his heart and heard nothing coming from his chest.

"Danté!" I shouted moving out from under him so he was on the floor and I could feel for his pulse hoping that the only reason I could not hear his heartbeat was because I was too shaken up to focus on it. I did not feel anything but his cold skin as I placed my fingers on his neck.

"Eli – he's not breathing –"

"I know – wait –"

I placed my hands on his heart and tried to press down on his chest to try to get his heart pumping but froze feeling his chest collapse under my hands.

-----

I gasped pushing myself to sit up in bed and blinked as I tried to focus on where I was. It's not Dante's room, it's not mine either. Looking around, it was clearly still the guest room in Karabo's house and Ben was asleep not far from me.

My trembling hands lifted to rub my face but I ended up staring at them because I could still feel it... My brother's chest crumbling under the force of my hands.

It was just a nightmare, Eli.

I nodded to myself and rubbed my hands over my damp face and into my hair before I looked around again, my eyes landing on Ben to make sure he was still asleep. I carefully got out of bed and realised I was sweating pretty badly, not just on my face. I grabbed my phone and then I quietly made headed from the room and downstairs into the kitchen hoping to get some water and air. Once downstairs, I turned on the light and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge finishing it before leaning against the table with a heavy sigh.

That was the most terrifying nightmare I had ever had in my life. I let my head fall back slowly as I tried to control my breathing and the beating of my heart before sitting down at the table.