Chapter 19.

*****

I felt Nicholas shove my back and wanted to roll my eyes. He was pissed because all the wolfsbane I had consumed and injected seemingly had no effect on me. Seemingly. I could feel it burning through my veins, it had damaged the inside of my throat and my stomach felt terrible; I was not going to show him any of that though. Well, I was trying not to but felt like I was swaying on my feet even though I knew I was not.

He had not had any more for me to take so we just set off towards wherever they were hiding out, him walking behind me. More than he knew I could not do much at the moment, he knew that I would not. Still, he did not want me behind his back. Turns out he was not completely stupid.

"You know, Nic –"

"Be quiet," he cut me off.

"I prefer literally anything but peanut butter. Maybe put something better on the sandwiches for our next 'picnic'? You know, if I decided not to kill you." I said, "I love hot food but don't you think wolfsbane is pushing it?" I added. I felt him punch my back and peeked over my shoulder amused to aggravate him more, it worked and he shoved my head so I was looking forward.

"You're going to wish you kept your mouth shut, Eli."

"Ooo. No 'Alpha'. Such disrespect." I chuckled, "You rebel." I teased.

"Shut up!" I dodged the branch he swung at me, turning to him before he grabbed my collar to shove me against a tree roughly.

"Aren't you going to fight back, Eli?" He asked before smirking, "I thought Alphas don't back down. Fight me."

I grabbed his shoulders and stepped forward swinging us around and slamming him against the tree. He did not try to stop me at all.

"What are you playing at?" I hissed.

He bit his lip as he glanced down between us and I narrowed my eyes letting them fall to his hands when they lifted to gently take hold of my wrists before my eyes met his hazel pair again, "Stockholm Syndrome?" He smirked. I wanted to rip his heart out right there. All of it was a fucking joke to him. "Get your hands off of me before I have Danté killed, Eli." he said, "I never liked him anyway, always has that rude look in his eyes." His mention of it made me realise Danté never quite liked Nicholas either. Even when he was a toddler, he never quite took to Nicholas the way he did to the rest of my friends and always ran off when the guy was around us. Guess my brother had good instincts.

I did not want to listen to Nicholas; he could not tell me what to do. Well... in the past. Now... I let go of him but swung my fist into his face as soon as I did. He fell to the ground clutching his jaw and I watched him as I unclenched my fist and clenched it again. It wasn't a lot of wolfsbane, but I was losing strength. It did not show as much but I could definitely feel it.

I grit my teeth feeling my heart burn. We needed to move quicker, I wasn't sure if I was healing fast enough with all of the damage happening inside my body.

"Get up, 'Alpha'." I mocked grabbing the back of Nicholas's shirt and dragging him to his feet.

He shoved my hand from him as soon as he was up and I watched the cut on his lip slowly disappear as he glared at me. "You're going to pay. For everything. I-I hate you." He hissed. Everything? He meant being Alpha? I decided not to reply. I did not want us wasting more time out there. I began to leave but he caught my arm and I immediately felt something prick into it. I looked back at him and met his glaring eyes as I felt the liquid burn through the vein it was pierced into. I was determined not to show him any type of weakness despite feeling that the wolfsbane he was currently draining into me was a lot more concentrated than the others, "I did not want you dead. I did not want to use this. Why are you like this?"