Chapter 25.

*****

*Karabo's POV*

I made my way downstairs slowly, my movements not making a sound. I could feel Eli in the kitchen so I knew he was up even though he wasn't making any noise. He probably knew I was up too, I had been in my room for a while after receiving a call from Richard who insisted I come home because he was drowning in both our work. I had managed to buy myself two more days at Galaxy. Literally buy because I owed Richard a three-day stay at a hotel when I got back. He would have nothing else.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and began an argument with myself about whether I should risk going into the kitchen and getting my heart stepped on by angry Eli or just go watch TV until he left and then make breakfast for myself.

Despite my mind winning the watch TV fight, my legs took me towards the kitchen but I stopped right outside of it as I heard the fridge open.

"...out of water." I peeked into the kitchen to see Eli shut the fridge as he mumbled to himself before he looked at the tap.

Out of bottled water? Now that I thought about it, he hadn't touched a glass or cup filled with any type of liquid since he woke up. He thought I had not noticed him throwing away my – and his parents' – attempts at feeding him, but I wasn't blind. Eli sighed as he grabbed a glass and made his way to the sink. I smiled about to walk in to hug him since he didn't seem to be in such a bad mood and sneaking up on him would be the only way to get a hug but I halted my movement when he stopped after filling the glass with water.

He stood staring at the water and I could see his hand shake slightly as it lifted a little before stopping. For a few seconds, he stood breathing rather heavily while staring down at the glass before he let out a frustrated sigh and I bit my lip as it cracked and broke in his hand when he clenched his fist. He seemed to snap out of it immediately afterwards and I ducked behind the walk as he looked around before I peeked back into the kitchen hearing the glass scrape against the sink while he cleaned it. He threw the pieces away and brushed the excess pieces from his palms before watching them heal and then rubbing his hands together.

"Stop it." he hissed at his shaking hands. I felt my chest burn with anger and worry as I watched him and glanced at my hands realising I had subconsciously clenched my fist. I looked back at Eli hearing his feet shuffle slightly. "Stop being so fucking weak." he groaned covering his face as he dropped his head back. I wanted to comfort him, but I knew that would only upset him. The last thing he would want if for me – or anyone – to see him being vulnerable. I hated that he didn't feel comfortable enough with me to feel that way around me.

"Karabo?" Crap. He must have sensed me from our pull when he calmed down.

"Morning." I pretended to have just come downstairs as I walked into the kitchen.

"I didn't hear you," he mumbled more to himself than me but I answered him anyway.

"You didn't?" I grinned, "Richard says I'm really stealthy. Mom hates it." I gave a chuckle and he nodded slowly.

"Oh, yeah? Um... I should get... going..." he tried to walk by me but I caught his arm with both my hands. Half to stop him and half just to touch him. I missed holding him. His skin felt warm, which was a relief because he looked pale and terribly exhausted.

"Let's get breakfast. It's on me. Anywhere you want to." I said.

He began to shake his head, "I-I'm not hungry –"

"You haven't eaten in days." I cut him off.

"I have." I frowned at him as he tried to lie to me.

"One bite when you're about to pass out isn't eating." I insisted.