Chapter 27.

*****

I stared at my mate completely frozen. No. No. He couldn't be hurt. I needed him right now. I couldn't protect him in this state! I was trying to will him to heal while feeling sick at the thought that he would get hurt more because of me, because I couldn't help him like he was trying to do for me. He screamed again as they pulled the sword out of him and I realised my just standing there was giving us – giving him – even less of a chance of survival. I attacked the person that had stabbed him and he fell easily being too caught up in his delight of killing an Alpha.

"Karabo –" I began to kneel down to where he had fallen as soon as the sword was extracted but he lifted his hand to weakly shove me away from him.

"Eli," His eyes shifted by me widening and I turned as someone swung a sword at me. I caught it, my fingers slicing on the jagged edge and I looked at my hands as they burnt lightly against the sword as it was coated in wolfsbane, but I barely felt it. I guess the wolfsbane smeared on the sword had no effect on me after everything I had been through. I traced my eyes from my hands up to the person holding the weapon and smirked as my eyes met his shocked face. I ripped the sword from his hands before flipping it and then stabbing it into his leg. He screamed as he fell back onto the ground.

"E-Eli, we need to leave." Karabo groaned from behind me.

"Just a second," I replied tapping my fingers on the handle as the guy begged for his life. He was crying and squirming yet somehow the smell of his burning flesh made me feel... calm. "What? Does it burn?" I gave a chuckle as I twisted the sword making him scream louder. I felt myself smirk as I looked at the wound on his leg, the thought of hurting him more suddenly excited me. I ripped the sword from his leg before stabbing it right back into him to earn another pain-filled blood-curdling scream that basically sounded like music to me as I twisted it in the wound again.

"Eli." My head turned to Karabo as I heard him wince and I stopped moving the sword seeing his face.

Did he look afraid...? Of... me? I turned back to the wolf and swiftly pulled the sword from his leg before piercing it into his heart not interested in messing with him anymore. I twisted it to make sure he would not be able to heal after I pulled it out if the wolfsbane was no longer enough to prevent his healing. I rested the sword on the grass beside me as I knelt down beside Karabo. I shut my eyes annoyed and exhausted as I heard more running approaching us. How many wolves had Nicholas convinced to join him?

"You-you have to go be-before more of them show up." Karabo coughed breathlessly.

I looked around trying to smell for some type of plant or something that was strong enough to mask our scents. With him unable to fight and me not strong enough to just carry him home while running, our best option at the moment was to hide.

"No, we can't. They-they'll smell my blood. Leave, Eli." he ordered as he shoved my chest, but his Alpha tone had no effect on me as I was certain mine would have on him but just the fact that he tried to order me to do something...

"Do not fucking command me," I replied pulling my shirt off and pressing it to his wounds in an attempt to slow the bleeding while his body fought against the wolfsbane to heal. I clenched my teeth. He wasn't supposed to be there. He wasn't supposed to get hurt.

"Why can't you just listen to me?! Just once!" He yelled frustrated before leaning his head against me. I wish he hadn't; with his skin against mine I could clearly feel his energy decreasing and all it did was cloud my head with worry as the terror in my chest increased.

"I might after this, but not right now," I said calmly.

"Sure, you will." He muttered. I looked at his face to find his lips puckered in annoyance.