Chapter 31.

*****

I burst out laughing, basically doubling over. It was the most I had laughed in a while. My stomach almost hurt as I clutched it while not even trying to control my amused response. Eventually, my eyes moved to the man in front of me when my laughter had finally died down a little, although looking at him immediately made me laugh again.

"Why are you laughing?" Karabo asked looking unimpressed at my reaction to his question.

"Oh sorry about that, I just – I thought I heard you ask if I would let them join my pack," I said leaning back against my desk and letting out a hearty sigh. That was a great laugh.

"You know that's what I asked." He frowned at me.

"Right, and you know my answer," I replied seriously.

"Eli –"

"Some wolf that created a pack to side with a crazy human tells you a sop story and you want me to risk my pack for them? No, Babe." I had called him that specifically to point out that I would not agree to what he had asked me, even though he was my mate.

"Seth created the pack before they sided with Craig. He needed the boost in power to protect what was left of his original pack; no one would take them in after most of them got killed in an attack. Their pack is built with rogues in the same situation as they are. They were mad at wolves for rejecting them when they had done nothing wrong; they were hurt and needed the power to protect themselves and gain territory. Eli, I can't move them across the world when most of them still haven't even gotten over losing their homes and so many of their friends and family. Please? Please take them in."

I watched him, his eyes practically pleading with me. In his eyes, I could tell that he already cared so much about wolves he had literally just met. He felt things so easily it made me wish he would stop being so emotional, but at the same time, I liked that about him...

He had already convinced me to help 'Alpha' Seth and his 'pack' but he didn't need to know that. I crossed my arms nodding slowly.

"What's in it for me?" Karabo stared at me dumbfounded before he gave a sigh of disbelief and turned to leave but I grabbed his wrist. He looked back at me and I frowned at him before I rolled my eyes as he grinned.

"Thank you," he said before he tried to leave again but I didn't let his wrist go.

"What?" he asked.

"Don't I get a hug for this?" He scoffed and I raised my brows. "Where are you going anyway?" I was almost annoyed. If he says Seth...

"I have to tell Seth you agreed and then we have to help them get settled in before I leave –" He was saying as he tried to pull his wrist from my hand but I tugged in it to pull him back to me, his back bumping into my chest before I secured him to the spot by locking my arms around his waist.

"Seth can wait," I mumbled kissing the base of his neck.

He chuckled lifting his hands to my arms to move them. "Eli -"

"No," I muttered against his skin, my voice edging and mixing with a slight growl from my wolf at the thought that he was leaving me to meet with Seth. Should have marked him when we met... I felt him shiver and smirked as I hugged him against me. "Aren't you going to tell me not to tell you what to do, Alpha?" I asked.

"No..." He mumbled and I felt his fingers trace against the skin of my forearms lightly, "I'm curious about what would happen if I stay..."

"I'm not promising that you'll be able to leave if you stay," I whispered into his ear as I straightened so I was against him and he could feel what I meant. I felt myself smile as he swallowed nervously.