Chapter 18.

*****

I stared at the glass of water in my hand trying not to react to the harsh smell it let off. What did Craig want to do with me anyway? Experiment? He would not know if I didn't drink the wolfsbane, I could just hide my energy level so the other wolves there could not feel it and pretend to be weak for the human. Did he have Nicholas? Nicholas could hide his power as well being from my pack, but he would not tell Craig about that, I doubted Craig would even ask about that because he would not think of it unless other werewolves told him it was possible.

What if he somehow knew I was faking weakness though? I could not put the wolves he had in danger like that, could not put my brother in more danger, but he most likely would not let them go even if I gave myself in. I had to be able to take him out, had to be strong enough to release the wolves he captured. I could stand quite a bit of wolfsbane so breaking cages open wouldn't be a problem for me unless I made myself very weak.

I threw the water out of the glass as my phone went off and sighed answering it.

"Hey, where are you?" Ashton's voice filled my ear.

"Home. Is everything alright?" I asked.

"No. Riley called; he says the area is wolfsbane free, but Tamia says no one can find Joshua. How is he kidnapping wolves that have their guard up, Eli?"

"He's not alone," I mumbled. "Maybe... He's threatening some of the wolves and they're helping him." I should have guessed that earlier. How else would he have been able to capture Danté and the others? What was wrong with me? These were simple clues that are just slipping by me and in turn, I was endangering more wolves.

"Like... with you?" He said.

"Sort of." I frowned at the empty glass in the sink.

"Eli?" Ashton spoke my name slowly.

"Yes?" I asked looking at my hand as I made it glow and buildings began to form in the blue light raising from my palm. I was trying to make the spell stronger so I could search a wider area, it wasn't working. I could still only find people in the same city as I was. With my limitations on the spell at the moment, I would have to travel to different cities and try to see if I could spot Dante's presence.

"Uh... Jenna suggested we ask some of the other Alphas for help..." he said. The glow disappeared from my hand.

"No. As far as they're concerned it's my problem because we're the strongest pack and only rogue wolves and wolves from our pack have been taken. It doesn't matter, we don't need their help." I said.

"We kind of do. Maybe we'll owe them in return, but right now –"

"We don't need them. Look, I'm going to need you to take over here. I'm going to look for the wolves." I said.

"You mean search with the spell?"

"Yeah. I could find Danté if I get close enough to where he is." I said.

"No, I'll look for them."

"You know my magic is stronger and I would have to teach you how to do this, we don't have time for that. Just make sure Tamia stays safe." I said.

"What exactly are you planning to do if you find them?"

"Kill Craig. I doubt he knows anything about our magic, he could not have planned for that so I'll be using magic instead of shifting."

"Fine. But you have to call before you do anything else once you find them," he said.

"I doubt I'll need backup, but if you insist." I rolled my eyes.