Chapter 7.

*****

"Here." I took the phone from Ben's hand as he held it out to me while I scooped another spoon of cereal into my mouth. "Karabo, we're going site seeing. Are you coming?" Ben asked.

I looked up from the map as my mate walked in and slid keys across the table to Ben while shaking his head.

"I would but I have to make sure everything's planned properly for tomorrow," Karabo said as he took a plate from the shelf.

"Tomorrow?" I asked.

"Mate ceremony." I put my spoon down as I saw Ben straighten up curiously.

"Your pack does that? How does it work?" Ben asked. We had only ever heard of mate ceremonies, they were not something any of the packs in our vicinity at home did.

"Well... Everyone here only finds their mate when they've gained permission from the elders and current leaders. It's great because then everyone's in the same place and can find their mates immediately. If someone's mate isn't in the pack, we ban them and they go searching for their mate." He said.

"Ban?" I asked shocked. Karabo nodded. "You're joking." I narrowed my eyes. He grinned.

"Of course I am," He chuckled, "bottom line, we don't feel our mate's pull once we reach a certain age. We just do the mate finding ceremony every six years and it's tomorrow."

"When did you do yours?" Ben asked.

"Since I'm Alpha, sixteen. Two years before any other wolf is old enough to take part in the ceremony."

"So that's why Richard hasn't found his mate yet?" I asked.

"Yes." He nodded.

"So he's taking part in his own ceremony – wait, all your Deltas are too, aren't they?"

"They are."

"Isn't that unfair? Some of you have to wait longer than others to find your mates." Ashton said as he walked in. He must have been listening from upstairs. I looked behind him but my sister didn't follow him into the room.

Karabo shrugged. "We don't get the pull on our sixteenth or eighteenth birthday –"

"Eighteenth." I interrupted, he nodded.

"– like you guys do so no one has a choice. We just have to wait longer sometimes."

"I wish I could choose to wait longer. You two seem to be taking the mate thing fine but I don't want to end up like him." Karabo and I laughed as Ashton shoved Ben causing him to fall off the stool he had been sitting on.

"You're such an idiot, Ben," Ashton muttered taking his seat.

"Where's Tamia?" I asked.

"Upstairs. She's on the phone with Andrea and Bonnie." Andrea and Bonnie were some of Tamia's friends back home.

Karabo's phone buzzed and he looked at it before sighing and placing the plate of cereal he had just made but had not even gotten to taste a spoonful of yet in front of Ashton.

"Here you go."

"Yeah! Did you get served? I didn't think so." I frowned at my Beta as he smirked my way.

"I have to go. Uh, car keys –" He pointed at Ben, "Lock up. I'll see you guys later. I'm sorry."

"It's alright," I said. I understood how much work he had. 'You better be here tonight though.' I linked to him.

He smiled at me as he grabbed a couple of protein bars before leaving.

"Alright, where are we going?!" I looked at Tamia. She looked like she was heading to the beach in the crop top and shorts she was wearing... The beach didn't seem like a bad idea...