Chapter 29.

*****

I held my breath as I lifted my hand pausing to stare at the brown wood for a second before giving a timid knock on my parents' door.

"Why is he knocking?" I heard Dad mumble.

"I don't know, they've never cared about our privacy before. Maybe he's finally growing up." Paps said.

"He was grown up when he was three, just never knew the definition of privacy." Dad's reply made Paps give a light chuckle in agreement.

"I'm right here... I can hear your gossiping..." I frowned pushing their door open.

They laughed and I rolled my eyes. They were lying on their bed, each with a book in their hand. Paps' head was resting on Dad's lap as Dad leaned back on the pillows stacked up against the headboard. They were both still in their pyjamas, understandable since it was almost seven in the morning. I had been up for a while.

"What do you want, Alpha?" Paps asked, faking annoyance as he dropped his book to look at me.

I laughed as my Dad smacked his mate's forehead lightly before I cleared my throat nervously and climbed onto the end of their bed to sit cross-legged, it instantly brought back memories of similar moments when I was younger. Paps being there was new though, usually he was working. He moved so he was parallel to my Dad and they were both staring at me curiously and slightly worried. I wasn't the Alpha to them right now.

"You alright, Soldier?" Dad asked. I nodded.

"I just... I thought about it and... and I don't wanna keep hurting Karabo so I'll do it... the, uh, 'taking to someone'" I mumbled. It was that, mostly, and also the fact that I was just drained. I was tired in every sense of the word and knew I could not keep being so tense and on edge all the time. I watched my Dad scoot over to me before he ruffled my hair.

"I'm proud of you." I gave another nod looking at his chin instead of his eyes.

"What I... what I said about -"

"It doesn't matter. You were upset."

"That's no excuse," I mumbled looking down between us. "I'm really sorry, Dad. I... I'm so sorry."

I sighed as he hugged me, patting my back lightly before he moved back and was replaced by Paps who patted my shoulder.

"You never were one to think before you speak when you're angry." he said, "I don't expect you to start now. I mean, Jayden hasn't started." I laughed as I watched my Dad's jaw drop behind Paps' back.

"What? Don't start with that. He's the one that messed up." I laughed more as Dad gave me a frown.

"I'll make breakfast," I said.

"I want waffles." I rolled my eyes hearing Danté from his room.

"I want waffles," Dad repeated grinning. Of course he does.

"Oh, and chocolate chip cookies." Danté's voice came from his room again.

"No." Paps frowned, his face twisted in disgust.

"Come on, Corey. It's not like we eat this way every day." Dad said.

"Which means there really is not a reason to eat that way today," Paps replied.

"Babe..." Dad said causing the man in front of me to turn to his mate. I saw Dad smirk before biting his lip and felt a grossed-out shiver run through me at the thought of what they could be linking about. I did not want to picture it.

"Fine." Paps turned to give me a smile.

"You're making cookies too then." Danté appeared behind me.

"What do you think I am?" I asked frowning at my brother.