Chapter 11.

*****

I sprinted after Karabo's grey form that could barely be seen in the filtered light created by the dense trees ahead of me. It took only us a few minutes of running before we stumbled onto the pack grounds we had heard the noise coming from.

'What are you doing?' I linked to my mate as he began attacking wolves that his fellow pack members were fighting with.

'Helping.' he linked back as he slammed into a wolf knocking them unconscious before pouncing onto another as the wolf he had saved stumbled back onto his paws.

'You should look for their leader.' I linked back as I followed my mate through his fighting. He wasn't killing anyone; just injuring them to make them back off or knocking them out.

'I should protect my pack first.'

"You won't be protecting them if you don't find their Alpha!" I growled. What the hell was he doing?!

"There won't be anyone left to protect if I go after him when they're stronger than my men are!" he growled back, "Are you going to help or just be a distraction?!" he asked and immediately attacked another wolf. I let out a growl at him before pouncing on a wolf that was about to attack one of Karabo's pack members.

I looked at my mate before my eyes moved in the direction I could feel the strongest wolf in. We should be going after him. Fighting him. I argued with myself a few more seconds before gritting my teeth as I decided it was best to ignore my instincts and listen to Karabo; it was his pack after all. I could not ignore his wishes in front of his pack or they would think that I did not respect him. I gave an aggravated growl before attacking another wolf, ignoring the strength I felt in the distance.

I killed three more wolves before noticing that the others had begun retreating.

'Do we find him now?' I linked to Karabo.

'He's already gone,' he replied. I focused on the energy I had felt earlier and realised he was right, 'You killed them?' he added nudging a dead wolf with his paw. I nodded.

'Do you know where they're going?' I asked.

'No.' He ran off and I followed him.

We shifted at his house before we walked back out fully dressed and made our way through the small mess of houses the other pack had managed to destroy that littered his pack grounds. I noticed some medics helping about five wolves in our immediate vicinity, aligning their bones so they could heal properly.

I looked at Karabo as he commanded a few wolves to clean up the mess and check if there was anyone else from their pack that was hurt.

"You're just going to let them go?" I asked once the wolves he spoke to had walked off. I saw one of the medical wolves look our way but quickly drop his gaze when his eyes met mine.

"Of course not. I'm going to find them." he replied.

'How? We – I killed anyone that could have led you to them, and you just let the rest go.'

'There's no way they would have spoken anyway.' he replied.

'You could have tried to make them! Or better yet, caught the Alpha while he was nearby.' I linked back.

'My wolves needed help.' he linked before turned away from me, "Guys, get them to the hospitals. See if anyone in the shelter got hurt. Tell Richard I need to see him in my office right now." He called out before heading towards the recreation centre. I followed him until we were in his office. He looked annoyed and I assumed it was because Richard was not there. I shut the door behind me.