Chapter 12.

*****

I was laying on the roof of Jayden's house staring at a single star above. I had been watching the heavy grey clouds move across the dark sky at first but my eyes eventually stopped on the only star I could see between the moving clouds and I had not looked away from it in the past ten minutes. The sky was slowly brightening and I was beginning to hear birds chirp and shuffling in the house beneath me. I glanced at my watch figuring that it was still too early for anyone to be awake, it was just after four now.

I listened to the person move through the house until the backdoor I had neglected to lock when I had come out earlier opened.

"Eli?" Karabo's voice called into the quiet morning. I smiled as I turned so my feet were higher on the roof than my head was before I leaned over the gutter to peek down.

"Good morning," I said.

"What are you doing? You're going to slip." He frowned up at me. "You shouldn't be out here," he added glancing towards the trees behind the house.

"I won't slip," I stood up and jumped my way onto a second-floor balcony before repeating the movement so I landed on the ground and then walked over to my mate, "and you're the one who should not be out here."

He sighed. "I didn't come out here to argue," he mumbled.

"And I would rather we not." I agreed. He smiled at me and my brows rose questioningly. "Want to take a walk?"

"You're going to walk in those?" I pointed at the once-white socks he wore; they were now covered in mud.

"Oh yeah. Shoes. I'll find them in a second." He mumbled and I chuckled.

"Do I have to help you put them on as well, Alpha?" I teased.

"I have more important things to focus on." He waved me off as he walked back onto the back porch. I followed him laughing softly as he pulled his socks off before heading back into the house. I cleaned my shoes on the mat outside and followed him inside where I leaned against the kitchen counter and waited for him to return from upstairs.

"Going somewhere?" I looked up as Karabo's mom walked into the kitchen. She's up? Maybe I'm not the reason Karabo wakes up so early, maybe it's in his blood...

"Yes. We're going to take a walk." I explained.

"A walk?" She asked surprised.

"Yes... Is that... strange?" I asked.

"No, no. Of course not." She smiled, "Don't be out too long, I'm making breakfast," she added.

"We won't be. Come on, Eli." I looked at my mate and back to his mother; her back was facing me as she grabbed some things from the cupboard. I narrowed my eyes wondering why she was so surprised by us going on a walk before I followed Karabo out.

If it hadn't been for the occasional damaged building and destroyed tree, there would have been no trace of the fight that happened the previous evening. Everything seemed so calm in the morning.

Karabo and I walked in a comfortable silence for a while, each of us seemingly caught up in our own thoughts. My mind kept wandering back to Nicholas. Something just seemed off about his disappearance, it was worrying me that I couldn't figure out why I felt like something was wrong. I bit the inside of my cheek as I looked at my mate who was walking beside me staring ahead.

"Do you travel a lot?" I asked, my speaking clearly interrupting his thoughts as he looked at me confused and I had to repeat my question to him.

"Oh, no." He shook his head.

"Would you come to see me?" I asked.

"Sure," he chuckled, "Not if things are the way they are right now, though. Too much going on. Why? Are you leaving?" He stopped walking. I didn't and felt his eyes follow me as I walked by him keeping my eyes ahead of me.