Chapter 34.

*****

I thought I would get some rest after the long flight, but when I found Richard waiting to pick me up from the airport, I knew something was wrong.

"They let you come alone?" I asked.

"Yes. They've got a whole meeting set up for you." I stopped walking and looked at him. He was not joking. Damn it, seriously?

"I'm exhausted." I almost whined.

Richard laughed. "I'm guessing they consider this more important than our fight considering they don't care about whether we share any secrets anymore," he said.

"They're going to interrogate me, aren't they?" I asked.

"I think they'll do more than that." Richard frowned, "They're not exactly happy about your lack of... female organs." I shoved him as he ran his eyes over me and we laughed.

I sighed. The whole Luna and Alpha heir thing Karabo had told me about had been completely forgotten about until that moment. I guessed even though I found it absolutely ridiculous I had to respect their customs. Still, my mate was not going to create an heir with anyone in any fucking pack no matter how long things had been done that way.

"They're tough but I'm sure you can overturn them, they're not going to let it go easily. Even Karabo and I have to fight them in almost every decision we make." I raised my brows.

"Some of your pack members are not happy about the hereditary line?"

"A few are far from it, especially because of Karabo's father's suicide. They don't think the family's fit to lead after that, but everyone else is happy with the way we've led. No one's ever challenged us yet, we're too strong even though we're very calm. I guess some people are like you." We chuckled. He meant some people would have wanted their pack to have a better reputation for being ruthless, Karabo's pack was nothing like that.

I smiled. Our packs were pretty much opposites. I was happy, it was tough to deal with Karabo already; if we were alike we would undoubtedly have killed each other... and then been incredibly sad about it.

Richard and I drove back to his pack talking about what things had been like without Karabo, and I was impressed. He sounded like a great Beta even though he thought he made tons of mistakes, clearly just over-thinking. He pointed out that I smelt like my mate and I smirked making him figure out that we had mated and watched his eyes widen.

"What if this doesn't work? What if Karabo beats Ashton?" I snorted but caught myself off halfway through. I wasn't sure whether to side with Ashton thinking he could beat Karabo because wolves from my pack were just that strong and I supported my Beta or whether I should have sided with Karabo because he was my mate and a powerful Alpha and really, though I did not want to admit it for the sake of our merging pack, in the back of my mind I knew there was no way Ashton could actually beat him. I figured the same for Richard and me.

"Worry about yourself, Beta." He frowned at me and I shook my head trying to be positive, "Seriously though, it will work. I know both of you can put up a fight, you're great Betas. We would not have suggested doing this if we weren't sure of that"

"You have more belief in us than our own mothers do. My heart." He lifted his hand to his heart mockingly and I reached out to punch his shoulder earning a whine in return.

"You better be tougher than that." I laughed.

"Shut up," he growled rubbing his arm quickly.

When we reached his pack grounds, Richard parked in front of a house and nodded his head towards the front door. They really weren't going to let me get any rest before this meeting...I glanced around smiling at the nostalgia that being there brought me. It also made me sad. I wanted Karabo...