Chapter 37 - The End.

*****

I stared at the coffee in my hands not having drunk any of it at all since I poured it into the cup. I stood leaning against the couch, my focus on the sounds outside as I listened for a car. Karabo's mom seemed incredibly social; I was alone because she had headed out. It would take my dad some time to get used to her because of that, but he had gotten used to Paps who was his polar opposite so they would eventually get along great. I immediately set the cup down on the console table beside a vase as the sound of the car I had been waiting for came from outside and moved towards the door. I considered opening it but decided against it as I heard the car door shut, didn't want it to look like I had been waiting for him to show up. If he walked in with me just standing there in the living room, it would look like I had come to the door because I heard someone open it.

I listened to the footsteps making their way over from the driveway, my heart picking up in both anticipation and anxiety as I stared at the brown wood of the door. My eyes moved to the handle as it turned before the door was pushed open and I immediately hugged him, forgetting about not seeming so eager. For a few seconds, neither of us spoke until he cleared his throat.

"I... I'm... still mad at you..." he said slowly as he dropped his bags.

"I don't care. I'm going to keep holding you." I replied.

I heard him chuckle before he lifted his arms around me. I smiled shutting my eyes as I let myself feel the relief of knowing he was safely back with me. Neither of us moved for a few seconds, both seemingly just savouring the moment but eventually, we had to let go.

He turned around to shut the door before reaching for his bag but I caught his wrist. I pulled him out of the living room and into the kitchen figuring that he might want something to drink.

"I need to greet my mom first or she'll be really mad at me," he said.

"She's not here," I replied taking a seat at the island. He grabbed a bottle of water before he sat right beside me. Even if he was mad, he clearly wanted to be near me or would have sat across the table and not directly beside me. I was relieved and happy because I desperately wanted him to stay close to me too.

"I'm not sorry, Babe." I could sense his confusion as soon as the mumbled words left my mouth. He opened his mouth but I held up my hand, "Let me finish... I was angry they didn't believe in you and I wanted to shut them up. I just wanted to defend you. I accepted because it didn't matter who they chose, I knew I wouldn't lose a fight against anyone if it meant you would lose it as well, Karabo." I said.

I watched his fingers tap the water bottle and wished I had one too so that I wouldn't have to keep my nervous hands clutching each other on the table. Where was my coffee? I was sure I had some a few minutes ago... Had I finished it?

I raised my brows slightly watching him as he gave a slight nod to himself before he spoke.

"I know... I was just really angry you didn't stop to talk to me first. I mean, does this happen every time we receive a threat to the pack?"

"No, it won't happen again," I said taking his hand before I frowned, that was a lie. "Well, it-it might happen again if I receive a threat to you though – probably, probably will happen if I do..." I added quickly.

I smiled as he began laughing.

"I understand," he said. "Rich says it was impressive watching you handle Trevor even after the fight..." he mumbled, "Kind of wish I got to see it. Good job." My gaze moved up to his eyes, he was staring at our hands and I felt an immense sense of pride fill me. I was ridiculously glad knowing he was proud of me, it was weird. I smiled as he lifted out hands. "This is nice," he stared at our hands as he began to play with my fingers. I was content just watching him do that, it made me like my hands more because he seemed to like them a lot.