Chapter I - Introduction

~Zane's PoV~

        I slowly stepped on the wooden porch, making my way to the front door. Ringing the doorbell, I looked at susnet with my one good eye as I waited. The explosion of different shades of red, orange, yellow, pink and purple smudged against each other always left me breathless. It was a beautiful array that comes every end of a day. The sun was just finishing up it's daily chores, going off to brighten other people's day. There was a small rustling in the rich green trees, indicating a soft breeze.
        "Hi Zane! Glad you could make it!" Aphmau's sweet cheer shook me from my mini daydream. "Come on in."
        She moved aside and opened the door more. As I walked into her new house, I could still smell the aromas of new pine and oak - how relaxing. Yet, it clashed nicely with the clamor of people and the light beat of music.
        "So what exactly do you have planned?" I asked, keeping my straight face on.
        She giggled her famous Aphmau giggle, responding, "Well, if you must know... I have a lot of it planned, aaand maybe some karaoke?" Her voice got higher as it ended the sentence, really showing her excitement. "Aaron got an old karaoke machine and we tested it out earlier today. It still works! Eeeheee!" I'm so excited to try it out with everyone!"
        "Yeah, I really noticed that." I shifted my standing position a little. "Well, you know to count me out."
        Her energetic bouncing halted to a stop. "Awh but you have to! I think your deep voice it very angelic." She emphasized the phrase 'very angelic' by saying it in a lower, yet smooth, pitch. "Plus, it's not like all of us can sing. Heck, I can't sing but I really do want to participate!"
        "Aph, everyone here knows you can at least sing a nice little tune. But no, I still refuse, thank you."
        "Ugh, fiiine. You don't have to sing.. for the first hour of the party, that is! Bwahahahah~." There was a mischievious look on her face as she strangely waddled away.
        "You-! Augh." I mentally chuckled at her silliness.
        It's not that I can't sing - heh, I can - I just am not going to sing in front of people.
         I found my way to the kitchen. The smells there of ham and potatoes made me both hungry and sick to my stomach. My tummy never really makes up it's mind.
        Fine.. I'll just get some food a little later. Plus, there are way too many people in here. I'd feel too uncomfortable while trying to eat with my mask down.
        I shuffled over to the couch and basically sunk into the cushions, grabbing my phone. I played a little, trying my best to ignore everything around me. Yep. This is me at every party. I'm the antisocial dork who's always on his phone.
        I was silently mumbling to myself about not being able to pass a specific level as my attention was ripped off of my phone to a flash of white hair hitting the floor. I looked up to see Travis on the floor, face first into the carpet. An echo of laughter filled the room and I couldn't help but laugh myself.
        "Hey bud, did ya already have some alcohol before you got here?" Dante said, helping the cassanova off the floor.
        "No! And I don't remember there being an extention cord here what the hell?" Travis retorted, flailing his arms.
        After having a laughing fit herself, Aphmau came over and said, "Oh my Irene, Travis.. that's for the karaoke machine..." She was still laughing. "Oh hey Zane.. you know you can change the channel to My Little Horsies... no one is watching the TV."
        "Wh-whaa!? Aphmauuu!" I stuttered as I said whining.
       "Oh c'mon everyone knows that you like My Little Horsies." She chuckled evilly. "And if they don't, well now they do~!" She laughed some more and trudged away, starting to inform people that there will be a karaoke machine and a mic for whoever would like to sing. Obviously, once people start to fill in and take over the living room, I will leave to eat. I continued to play on my phone as more and more people would file in and smush together to try and fit on the couch as some would take a chair from the dining room.
        As soon as the living room got far too crowded, I walked into the kitchen to serve myself some smashed potatoes and a bit of ham. I sat down at the lonely white table, facing away from everyone, and slightly pulled down my mask to eat.
Nearly a year of knowing Aph and her group, and you still behave like this? You've reaally done some work.
        Being alone with my thoughts really brings out my sarcastic side. I take a spoonful of potatoes.
You can't even be with them long enough to actually have fun.
        Oh, yeah, suurre. I cut my ham slice small enough to eat.
        You're not even comfortable enough to have your mask down? Pathetic. How long will you be this way?
        Dunno. All I know is that this ham is really good.
        "Hey."
        I nearly jump out of my skin, and I see it's just Aaron, going around to clean up a little. "Why aren't you with everyone? Why are you over here, looking like teenager with no friends at lunch?"
        Words can't describe how true that was for me. "Could ask you the same thing, Mr. Clean." I say back.
        "Hey, c'mon, I look nothing like him. I still have a full head of hair."
        "Yeah, for now." I start mentally laughing at how Aaron would look like with no hair.
        "Ha-ha, very funny." Aaron says as he leans up against the counter, his arms at 90 degree angles, supporting him. His legs are slightly crossed. "But no seriously, I get you're eating and all, but you could've done that earlier. And don't try to get out of this with an excuse. I was watching you. You didn't go to the kitchen because there were too many people and now you refuse to stay in the living room due to.. too many people. We've all known you for a while now, and honestly I'm kind of curious why you still don't seem comfortable with us."
        He basically just summed it all up. But.. there was one thing..
        "Why were you watching me?" I asked, trying to get off topic.
        "Don't try to change the topic. But to answer your question, I was just curious. You hardly ever seem to be with the group." He stopped leaning on the counter to go pick up some dirty dishes from the table. "So.. your turn to answer."
        He was pushing it. And that's not really like him. "I don't know." I kept my head down due to the fact that my mask wasn't up. "I guess I'm just like that." I didn't feel like eating anymore so I got up and put my dish in the sink. After that I adjusted my mask and headed to the backyard.

~Aaron's PoV~

        I can never understand that guy. It's like he doesn't want to get to know more people. His only 'real' best friend in the group is Aphmau. I can't figure him out, like I have with most of them. I can see it clearly - he wants people to be around him, to feel loved or wanted - but he pushes people away.
        I look over to the mass of friends in the living room. They're all laughing and having a good time. Especially her.
        Eh, eventually she'll get to him. She always does that. If she helped me, she can help him, doesn't matter how long it'll take.
        I smile and put all the dishes in the sink, putting off washing them until later. Right now it's time to just have fun. I walk over into the living room and address everyone.
        "So," I start, "who's going first?" I hold up the mic. I hear giggling.
        "I will!" Aph jumps up, taking the mic. Of course it'd be her to start the fun. She puts on Chandelier by Sia. I knew she was going to start with something over the top like that just to get people fired up.

~Zane's PoV~

        I look up at the night sky. Countless stars overhead, shimmering like it was their last night to be so bright. They contrasted with the dark blue behind them. There was still a soft breeze, shaking the shrubbery and trees alike. Sounds of crickets and passing cars filled my ears, and when they wouldn't, it was silent. It was a comfortable silence, though. One you can fall asleep to. A slight chill was in the air, but I had my sweater on, so I felt warm. You could smell the flowers that bloom in the night, a sweet smell, one that mixed well with the scent of freshly cut grass. The times like this were the times that I felt completely submerged in my surroundings, and at one with myself.
        I could hear Aphmau's yelling to try and get to the high notes of the song she picked. It seemed like her to start off with a song like that.
        Why don't I like to be around people? I mean, with all the time I've spent with them you'd think I'd at least want to be around them.
        Hmm.
        Maybe I should... maybe I should go and try to have some fun for one in my life. It won't hurt, at least I think it won't.
        I got off the bench I was previously sitting at and made my way over to the glass door to go inside.
        You really want to go?
        Yeah. I'm not going to sing though.
        I slid open the glass door and stepped inside. Light and music filled my eyes and ears. I immediately felt warmer as I closed the door.
        It was pretty empty in the kitchen and dining room, only holding two people. Dante and Travis. They were bickering about who would do the girl part in Partners in Crime from Set it Off.
        "Why can't you do it? You have higher vocal chords." Dante said.
        "Well I may have higher vocal chords but I can sing in a better lower pitch." Travis said back, lowering his voice to show his point.
        "Yeah but you can also sing in a higher voice! Just try and imagine me trying to sing in a high pitch."
        Travis started laughing to himself. "Oh my Irene I can. That's just a beautiful sight that I need to see."
        "No you don't. No one on Earth needs to see that." Dante crossed his arms.
        I started to pass the bickering two and they turn to me, which is rather unexpected.
        "Who do you think should sing the girl part?" Travis asks me. I look at him.
        "Well, the person who is okay with singing less lines." I say calmly. "But of course I'd like to see Dante try and fail." I walk away laughing to myself and find a place to sit with the crowd of people.
         Barely conversing with someone. Can't even hold a conversation for more than five minutes, eh?
        Shut up.
        I sit down on a chair that I brought from the dining room.
        This could be fun.