Chapter VIII - Concern

~Travis's PoV~

        I was in bed, not being able to sleep since the storm was still raging outside. No, as I said previously, I am not afraid of thunder, but Zane is. And that's what caused my muscles to tense up, ripping away any form of rest or sleep. I've never seen him so scared before, so meek, so petrified. The picture wouldn't leave my head—it seemed to be burned into my mind. Every time the loud clap of thunder rang throughout the house, startling me, I would get more worried. Each time, the image of Zane would flash before my eyes.
My room was dark, the only light coming from outside. The curtains were draped unevenly over the slightly open window, so every time lightning stroke, it caused dancing shadows to play along the opposite wall. Some that wouldn't faze me on normal nights. But now they looked like they were about to jump off of the flat surface and eat me whole. The air was stiff and suffocating, making it unescapable. The only slightly comforting thing to make the night nicer was the gentle breeze coming in through the window. Even the soft mattress below me was lumpy, making me even more uncomfortable. The rain didn't seep into the house through the window, as it was aiming for the other direction, yet it still made the room cold and uninviting. In hindsight, I should've closed it.
I can't take this anymore.
I reached towards a dark corner of the room, where my phone was located on top of a bedside table. I fumbled around, not bothering to bring my head up, and searched the wooden surface for my form of communication. I made small jingling sounds when I touched my keys, and I think I knocked over a water bottle. Finally I found my phone far back against the wall. I brought it to my face, pressing the side button and flinched in response to the bright light it created. With squinted eyes, I found my way to my messages after setting the appropriate brightness. I noticed the current time was 11:49.
        Ugh.
        Me: hey is zane okay?
I pressed send and laid my head back, as if I just overcame a battle and was exhausted. I set my phone beside me, screen-up so that I know if someone texts me back. I closed my eyes for a couple seconds, then I felt a little buzz. I opened my eyes, and there was a light that wasn't coming from outside. Garroth had responded.
       Blonde Weirdo: he's locked himself up in his room
       Oh great, thanks bro, that makes me feel better.
        Me: oh...ok..
        Blonde Weirdo: yeah I tried to get to him but he ignored me and didn't open the door. He's always been like that
        Me: are you still trying to get to him
        Blonde Weirdo: no
        Well aren't you a great big brother. It's still raining and-
        Me: you should still try
        Blonde Weirdo: I don't see what that'll do, he won't open up either way but okay. I guess I'll try
        Ooo Garroth right now is not a good time to borrow some of Laurance's sass.
        I put my phone on my chest and stared into nothingness.
        He's your brother! Why would you just give up on him? Who does that?
        I sighed audibly. Sure, it seems like I'm getting too worked up over someone I just really met, just barely getting to know them, but still. I can't stand still and know that someone else is hurting somewhere else. It drives me insane, and I can never rest fully. And with Garroth recognizing Zane like he's a lost cause makes my blood boiling.
You don't ever give up on anyone if there's still a chance.
I laid on my side and let my now droopy eyes close. Slowly yet surely, sleep started to completely encase me, wrapping me in its warm arms.

I woke to birds chirping happily and sunshine flowing freely through the window. The shadows on the opposite wall were now carefree, and the soft autumn breeze blew in with care. My room was now completely transformed from what it was last night, with the happy color of yellow bouncing off the walls energetically. The day was almost clear, with fluffy clouds floating just above the horizon. The simple sight of my bright bedroom caused a smile to creep onto my face, even though the corners were still a little gray. I grabbed my my phone, and saw that Garroth had responded.
        Blonde Weirdo: hey, sorry about yesterday. I was just a little upset because me and Laurance were bickering. But it's nice to have someone other than Aphmau worry so much about Zane. You two became friends?
        I thought about being friends with Zane. Were we? I mean after the whole ordeal yesterday we could, but I don't want to push him. I know he doesn't make friends easily.
        Me: that's okay bro. And I wanna say friends, but I think I'll need a little more clarification from Zane. Speaking of, how did it go last night with him?
        Blonde Weirdo: well, I was still upset so I didn't have much success. I really should try to talk to him when I get home.
        I sighed yet again, knowing Zane probably had a rough night. I didn't question Garroth further, as he was probably just at the store buying groceries. Then I remembered that I had Zane in contact list.
        Do I dare contact him?
        There's that feeling again. That pang of uneasiness in my chest. It's strange, as if I'm scared to push him too far to the point he'll just block me out and ignore me. The cold shoulder that I was too familiar with. My mouth tasted bitter sweet.
        I pressed Zane's number, opening three messages that were previously sent.
        Me: Uh, hey Zane you there?
        I realized I hadn't set Zane's number as a name yet. He was currently just a blob of random numbers. I thought for a bit, then changed his name to 'Shadowy Nugget'. I didn't know what else to write, so I halfway used Aphmau's little nickname that he hated so much. I made a mental note for when the next time I'd get to see him to take a cheeky picture of him for his photo. I do it for everyone. Laurance's was my personal favorite, because I caught him so off guard that his face was hilarious. He tells me to delete it, but I obviously refuse.
        Shadowy Nugget: yeah I'm here
        ..crap he responded.
        I didn't think he'd respond so quick.
        Me: Uh hey I just wanted to see how you were? You left kind of abrupt yesterday.
        I saw a bouncing gray ball flash on and off on the corner of my screen signaling he was typing. It disappeared, then came back after a little bit.
        Shadowy Nugget: yeah I'm fine
        I didn't believe that at all. But I was still afraid to push him. I was never like this to everyone else, but that was only because I knew everyone well—Zane... Zane is a different story.
        Me: alright then, I don't buy it, but I won't question you too much
        He read it but didn't respond. What'd I expect?
        I tuned off my phone, getting up. I can ask Zane later, right now I think he could use some time to himself. Besides, I was getting hungry. Sure, I just woke up, but hey, it smelled like Dante was making bacon. I was going to make sure he didn't eat them all.

Word count: ~1277
Aaaaand here's this part!
Okay, who else is absolutely excited for the new season of Diaries! I loved that she implemented Zane right away, now I know my little nugget will be in the season. And it was nearly thirty minutes like wow but yeah. I feel like I'm gonna love this season!

Live, love, lapis,
Bye my beautiful little Gems!