Chapter XVI - Christmas Day

~Zane's PoV~

   I sleepily opened my eyes, and scanned my surroundings. I see my own room, I don't see why I was expecting anything different. I look over at my dark mahogany bedside table, and I see it was 8:02. I look back to my room, which was clouded with shadows. My eyes were halfway open, and I knew my hair was a rats nest. My mouth tasted rather stale.
   Isn't today special or something? It's on the tip of my tongue..
   I dragged myself out of my bed, going to the bathroom. I started brushing out my hair, and I suddenly heard light sleigh bells, then my eyes instinctively widened.
   It's Christmas!
   "Oh my Irene, Christmas." I then proceeded to fix up my hair and quickly get dressed in my festive ugly sweater. I swiftly stumbled down the stairs, trying not to fall because of my excitement. I've been starting to warm up to Christmas, since last year I was a literal Grinch, and since that's when I really met Aphmau, I've liked Christmas. I, of course, am not going to let anyone know how truly happy I am.
   I start to put pancake batter in a bowl and a few other ingredients in. I was humming many Christmas songs, and slightly dancing to them, too. I was about almost done with the batter when I realized I wasn't going to eat all of the pancakes I was going to make.
   Do I want to? I mean, the cretins haven't woken up yet. But I am feeling a little merrier than normal.
   I sighed and kept making the pancakes, until there were a good amount under a warm dish towel, I served myself and ate.
   I hope the two dolts don't wake up before I finish my breakfast, I don't want them thanking me for the food...
   I made my way to the table and sat, quickly digging in. My mask was off, I was alone and I felt comfortable. I was just finishing up when I heard slow footsteps on the second floor. I quickly stuffed my face, picked my mask up and practically threw the plated in the sink.
   "Hey, baby brother!"
   Damnit.
   "Hey, Garroth." I grunted.
   "Aww, did you make us pancakes?" Garroth said, and you could feel his heart warming over my 'good gesture'. "I knew  you cared, under all that... Zane-ness." He slowly started walking towards me, and I knew he was about to hug me.
   "No, no, nononono." I waddled away. "I am in a good mood for once, so I don't need you to-"
   "Hugs!" He jumped and took me into a tight embrace.
   "Garroth, stop hugging me!" I was about ready to strangle him. He sniffled and let me free.
   "Remember we're going to Aphmau's later for her Christmas party."
   "Yeah, yeah, I know..." I trailed off. I gazed at Garroth and then to the leftover pancakes. "Well, enjoy your pancakes, see you until we leave." I decided I was going to be nice today.
   Garroth chuckled to himself sillily and went to serving himself while I went to my room to lock myself up until the party started. And it would be a while until that, so I had some time to myself.
   I got upstairs, took my laptop and browsed the depths of YouTube.

   I had been on my laptop for a few hours now, and outside it was starting to get dark. I took a glance at the bottom of my laptop and found it was 6:57. I groaned, knowing I'd have to make contact with other human beings.
   No, Zane, you're trying to be nice today.
   Fine, but if any people are staring to annoy me, I'm not going to be as nice.
   "Zane! Are you ready? We're about to go to Aphmau's!" Laurance's voice snapped me out if my mini discussion with myself, shouting at me from downstairs.
   "Yeah, I'm coming." I shut down my laptop and struggled out of bed, make sure my hair was okay and adjusted my mask. I took the bag of presents from under my bed and walked out of my room, switching the light off.
   "Okay, I'm here." I said as I reached the bottom floor.
   "See, Laurance, I told you he does care!" Garroth cheered once again. "He made breakfast and he has presents."
   "Are we going or not?" I lazily replied.
   "Yeah, let's go."
   We all left, just like yesterday, and locked the door. It was snowing a little more than yesterday, and as a result it was a bit difficult for me to walk. Garroth and Laurance were fine; they both were much taller than me and could walk easier. I was left to stumble across the snow-covered street, slowly advancing to the destined house on my own.
   Other than the aggravating snow, it was actually rather pretty outside. The almost-dead trees were delicately covered in snow mounds. Obviously, it was still cloudy, but the sky was a beautiful-strange mix of clouds with a few rays of sunshine pouring through. It was actually really breathtaking. I kept looking up, distracted, until I lost my balance and fell, face first into the ground. I heard laughter, and easily recognized it as my brother and his, obvious, I may add, boyfriend.
   "Okay, I'm glad you're finally looking up for a change, but you should really look where you're going." I heard two feet approach me. Then two hands grabbed my sides, and, as I struggled to not laugh, helped me back upright. I was ticklish on my sides. I looked up and saw Travis in a pale green scarf, green Christmas jumper, red-ish pants, and white earmuffs. He gave me a smile and put out his hand to help me all the way up. Although his outfit was a little strange and over-the-top, he looked cute in it. I guess you could say strange and over-the-top suited him.
   I took his hand and was helped up. I grabbed my bag full of presents and looked at Travis. Then I mumbled a quiet "thank you" in his direction.
   "You're welcome." He heard that? "Let's get to the party."
   "Sure." I continued walking stiffly to the house that was decorated in colorful lights from top to bottom. We were soon on the porch and knocked on the door. Laurance opened it.
   "Nice fall you took there, Zane." He sneered.
   "Oh shut up." I pushed past him, as I was starting to get cold from being out too long.
   "And here I thought you were gonna be nice." I heard him say again. I shrugged it off and continued inside, where it grew warmer. Hot chocolate and coffee was out on the table, with cupcakes.
   Target found.
   "You really do like cupcakes, huh?" Travis said, noticing my intense stare at the wondrous mini cake.
   "Well, yeah." I took my eyes off the baked goods for a second to give him a glance, but then immediately went back to glaring at the cupcakes. I felt him shift, then appear in my line of vision as he was at the table with said drinks and desserts. He took one of the cupcakes and started back to me.
   "Here." He presented me with the baked good he just grabbed. It was red velvet with beige frosting, garnished with a mini fondant mistletoe.
   "You don't want it?" I raised a brow at him.
   "No, I got it for you silly." He chuckled a bit.
   "Well," I stated, "thanks." I took the cupcake in my hands, and Travis stood there intently. After a bit of silence between us, I said, "Um..."
   "Aren't you gonna eat it?"
   "Well, yes, but then I'd have to take my mask off.."
   "Yeah, exactly!" He said, smiling. Then he realized he might need to explain himself. "Well, heh, I just kind of wanted to see you without your mask on. Sorry if that's a little weird." He scratched the back of his head awkwardly.
   "Uh-, well.." I stammered a bit, my face feeling slightly warmer than usual.
   Wait, why is he making me stutter like Garroth? Where's actual Zane?
   "It is a little strange, yes." I tossed the view  to the side, making it seem as if he's made me angry or uncomfortable. "I'm just going to go." I walked past him, towards the table where no one was. I then let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Alone, I enjoyed my solitude and cupcake. I would say red velvet cupcakes are my favorite, but honestly, they're all delicious. I take my phone out and become completely antisocial for about two hours of the party.