Chapter XI - Thanksgiving

~Zane's PoV~

          I wake up to the calm sound of birds chirping outside my window, soft sunlight pouring through it. I open my eye to see golden streams coming through, into the room. I feel warm in the safety of my bed, and it smells faintly of cranberries.
        Wait, that's never how I wake up.
        I open my eyes to Garroth knocking on my door, startling me awake. Outside, there is a very calm drizzle, but the sky is a light gray. I only see that through a sliver in my curtain, as most of my window is covered by the dark drapery. I groan and mumble something inaudible. It smells like potatoes and chicken.
        "Zane," Garroth said through the door, stretching out the 'a', "wake up, it's Thanksgiving!"
        Oh, great. One of my least favorite holidays, along with Valentine's Day, Easter, and maybe still Christmas. Sure, Aphmau did change Christmas from being the worst to not-the-worst, but it's still up there. I don't get Thanksgiving. I mean, what if I don't have anything to give thanks for?
        "Oh, that's nice." I reply and cover my face with my pillow.
        "Zane, I know you don't like it, but we're going to go to Aphmau's later, and we all have to bring something, even if it's small. She'll be doing most of the cooking along with Aaron, though."
        "Okay, fine. I'll be down in five." So that's why it smelled like potatoes and chicken. Garroth left my door, and I got up to get ready. I put my mask on and brushed my hair so that that it was neatly on one side. Then I went to pick out my outfit. I took my checkered black-and-white Vans, a black shirt that says 'P ! A T D', and, deciding to actually have a bit of color on, very dark blue skinny jeans. I then headed down.
"So, baby brother, both Laurance and Travis tell me you can bake deliciously, so maybe....?" He dragged out the last vowel, pleading the same way Laurance did.
I sighed deeply, saying, "You say Aphmau would appreciate it if we each bring something, so we can help her out?" I was already regretting the answer I was going to give.
"Yes." Laurance butted in.
"Then... fine." I mumbled tiredly, "I'll bake something, but none of you can have any until we get there."
"Of course." Garroth said as he mashed up some potatoes.

We were all pretty much done when the clock stroke five. Laurance had made the chicken, while Garroth had some mashed potatoes in his hands. I, on the other hand, had a sweet treat. I was waiting for my apple-cinnamon pie to be finished baking, so that we could start heading to Aphmau's. In about nine more minutes, I heard the annoying beep from the oven, and I grabbed my light blue glove to pull it out. It smelt heavenly, and, well, like apple and cinnamon. My favorite part, though, would always be perfectly-baked, warm pie crust. The filling was just a plus.
We all quickly grabbed our things and headed of to Aphmau and Aaron's house, seeing the girls emerge from theirs.
"Hey Katelyn, Kawaii~Chan." Garroth was quick to greet them. In KC's hands was a tray full of cranberry cookies, while Katelyn carried a ham.
"Hiya!"
"'Sup."
        We kept walking until we reached the destination, and waited until everyone got there. Mostly everyone was there, when Aph decided to put on some music and declared that everyone 'Dig in'. Basically all went to the tables with the main dishes, such as the ham, turkey, chicken, and so on. The sweets table lay untouched, but I knew it wouldn't be for long. People sat littered about; some at the table, in the kitchen, on the couches, et cetera. I sat on one of the stools in the kitchen, where Aphmau and Katelyn were. I ate rather quickly, wanting no one to see me with my mask off for more than they needed to.
        The night went on, and I enjoyed myself a bit, because I actually talked to someone other than Aph. That other person was Travis. I found we actually had some things in common, like music taste and video games. We were even in some same fandoms. If you look past his Casanova-ness, he seems to be a pretty caring and 'normal' guy. Suddenly, Aphmau's voice rang throughout.
        "Thanking time!" People looked at her, confused. "It's like a thing where everyone takes a turn and they have to say what they're thankful for! The last person who went passes it to a different person."
        This is what I've been fretting. I don't really have anything to say.
        People took turns, and most of them said things along the lines of 'My friends, family, well-being, good financial status' and things like that.
        It was Travis's turn.
        "I am thankful for people that change my life for the better, and people that actually care for me. And I'm thankful to be in a situation where I can help others, too." He smiled at me, then said my name, signaling that I was next.
        "Uh.. I guess I'm thankful for..." I had really nothing to say, until I remembered Aphmau and how much she's helped me. "I'm thankful for people who gave me a chance and are still there for me."
        It was quiet. I had actually let my walls down for a bit to say how I actually felt about them, no matter how much I tell myself I don't.
        "Aww, Zane. That was nice." Aphmau said, creeping up to me, trying to give me a hug.
        "No... Aphmau stop." I said, already knowing her.
        I looked over, and saw Travis giving me a smile. I felt a little lighter, and continued the night.
        Maybe... maybe this isn't so bad.

Word choice: 986
This one is a little shorter, but its out. Happy Thanksgiving / day or night!
Live, Love, Lapis. Bye my beautiful Gems~!