Chapter IX - Cupcakes

~Zane's PoV~
(Author's Note - anything that would usually be in italics, is underlined, as for some reason the italics are failing to work.)

Ugh. I felt horrible, as I hardly slept last night. How could I? The thunder was going crazy, and I felt as if the window might shatter in the process of defending me against the elements. So no, not a very pleasant night. The only sleep I received was when the storm was finally passing by, and I was comfortable enough to sleep soundly. Though, when I fell asleep, streaks of purple could be seen outside, indicating sunrise.
        So, here I am now, about two hours later, trying to open my groggy eyes. The sound of Garroth and Laurance fighting about the chores shook any sleep from my person. No, they weren't fighting in a serious manner; more like an old married couple. And me, being the way I am, could not let sleep envelop me once again. I'm just one of those people who can't fall asleep again once they've waken up.
Grr.. I swear, once I have enough money I am gladly moving out of this hell.
        "Well, I would sweep the floor more often, but it always seems to be full of store bought brownie crumbs. And who here loves brownies the most? You!" I could hear Laurance's annoying voice ring throughout the house.
        "Well, how are you so sure it's me? Zane loves sweets as well!"
        "Zane hardly ever leaves his room!"
I've had enough of this nonsensical bickering.
        "What's a guy have to do to get some peace and quiet around here?!" I yell loudly, sitting upright and tightly clutching my body pillow.
        "You're being loud now as well!" I hear them retort somewhat in sync.
        "Only to try and get you two to shut up!"
        A new, muffled voice shouts, "All of you, be quieter! The whole neighborhood can hear you!!" It sounded like Dante or Travis.
Travis.. oh right...
        I look down at my phone, which was on. I re-read the previous text messages.
He seemed worried for me...
I looked down.
Gah, he just met you. He can't care about you.
I sighed. My eyes were still heavy, yet there was still no sign of being able to get back to sleep, so dragged my tired self off of the dark-colored bed and lumbered to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and saw my face. I looked horrendous. Bags under my eyes, wild hair and I was seemingly more pale than usual, if that was even possible. I tied my hair back into a small, loose ponytail and splashed my face with water, hoping it'd wake me up a bit more. It didn't really work. I just sighed and decided to take a shower.
Maybe bathing in hot water will remove my sins.
I mentally laughed at my own stupidity.

My room was dark, as it always was. The door was never really open for long periods of time and the curtains practically collected dust, as they were never moved from their spot. I had two lemon-scented birch shelves which held all the crap I have. On the wall was only a small blackboard that I kept some of my important 'remember to do' papers stuck on. I'd never really completely do my bed, so the sheets were everywhere and anywhere. The only ones I kept on me basically at all times was my soft, rich mahogany blanket and my body pillow that I snuggled with. The part of my room that I actually really liked was the source of lighting, and not only because it was rather dim. Hanging from the ceiling were sunset colored crystals of light. They dazzled me every time I looked up and stared at them, and they calmed me a lot.
I decided to be dressed in all black today. Well—true, my shirt wasn't really black, more of a deep blue-gray, but it was a dark shade nonetheless. I was craving some cupcakes, but I didn't want to bother Aphmau (which isn't like me). But I think the reason was more of not wanting to walk out of the house. Sure, she could come over, but I left my phone upstairs, and I was not getting it. I also wanted to make sure no one else would get any. I was in a bad mood already. I put on an apron that said 'Kiss the Cook', which was probably Laurance's. I smirked to myself.
It probably works for Garroth all the time.

After a while of clanking, rustling, and getting flour all over, the cupcakes were in the oven. I made them vanilla. Sure, it's plain, but I love the smell.
I look down and see the stains of white on my dark clothes.
Great, just great. Now I'll have to wash these.
        I grumbled aloud and took the messy apron off, tossing it on top of the counter. I overheard Garroth talking about the guys coming over to play video games in a bit, and I was so tempted to stay downstairs so that no one would think of stealing any of my beloved sweets. Sure, the thought's a little irrational and greedy, but I guess you can say I'm a tad bit overprotective. I decided it'd be a better idea to just go to my room and wait until the cupcakes were ready, so no one would bother me.
          Flopping on my bed, I took my computer out and "looked for jobs"— which mostly consisted of being on YouTube and catching up on favorites. I mean, I was probably just gonna try and get a job at Aphmau's new café. I stretched and took a quick glance at the time, and realized that my baked goods were most likely ready. I sneaked back to the kitchen, and, like I guessed, the cupcakes were beautiful. I waited a couple minutes for them to cool before adding some little touches of frosting and candy here and there.
Ding dong~!
        I heard the door, and knew it must be the guys. I finished up while they were piling into the living room. It was only Garroth, Laurance, Dante, and Travis.
        "Oh my Irene, it smells so good in here!" I could hear Dante state.
        "Yeah, it smells like someone baked something."
        "Zane was making some cupcakes earlier," Garroth answered.
Uh, excuse you, one does not simply make a cupcake. These masterpieces are baked.
        "I think he's actually still in the kitchen."
Crap.
        I put some cupcakes on a small tray and tried to stealthily make my way back up the stairs. But, I guess clumsiness runs in the family, because I accidentally knocked over a little table on my way up.
        "Aha. Trying to keep all the cupcakes for yourself, eh?" Laurance raised a brow as he said it, and Travis walked over to me.
        "Can I has a cupcwake?" The green-eyed male smirked, and said in a tone that reminded me of Aphmau's when she either wanted something or just to be silly. One that I found rather difficult to say 'no' to.
        I don't know what it was: the annoyingly adorable voice he used with me or the fact that he actually cared enough to stay by me when I was scared of the thunder yesterday, but I silently gave him one and quickly went upstairs.
I'll give you one, but the rest are mine, Casanova!
        I enjoyed the rest of my lovely evening devouring my little creations.

~Travis's PoV~

        "Can I has a cupcwake?" I asked in a joking manner, not expecting to receive one. Zane stood there for a little, gazing at me until he took a cupcake from his tray, handed it to me, and left swiftly.
        I, of course, stood there, perplexed.
Why would he even think about giving me one? He loves these!
        "...wait you actually got one?" Dante said behind me.
        "Apparently.." I then shrugged and took a bite of it. And oh, my, Irene it was beautiful. It was so fluffy and warm and even seemed to melt in my mouth. "Mmm... this is so good." I said with my mouth full. It was like a little poof cloud came from the heavens and descended into this cupcake to up give it its godly taste.
        "What!" Laurance said from across the room. "Give me some." He whined.
        "No." I replied in a silly manner. I was not gonna give this up, I only have one.
        "What, why?" Laurance pouted.
"Probably because Zane gave it to him." Dante teased.
"Shut up!" I jokingly punched him in the arm. "Well," I said as I finished the last part of my treat, "who's going down today."
"Hah! In your dreams!" Garroth got to the TV first, and announced himself first player.
"Hey, no fair." I laughed and raced to to get the second best-looking remote. "Well, I'm gonna win anyways." I settled for second to last best remote as we started our session of a game we all knew everyone was gonna get really competitive in—Mario Kart.

Word count: 1528
Sorry about not uploading for an entire week. Idk why the italics aren't working but I'll try to find a different way to make it look better. Sadly, this was mostly kind of just a filler... so.. yeah, but hey you got cupcakes~!
(p.s. I'm planning for better stuff I swear) (p.p.s. also sorry for kind of late update [i mean it's late for me so idk])

Live, Love, Lapis,
Go eat some cupcakes! Cupcakes are good for the soul. Bye my Gems~.