Chapter XXXVII - Picnic

~Zane's PoV~

I reach the swings just as I sent Travis a text, asking him where to go next. A couple seconds later he replies that he'd go to me so that he can show me this big surprise. I had been hearing about it, he wouldn't stop reminding over the past two days, but even through texting, I could feel his awkwardness. Well, maybe not awkwardness, persay, but definitely something that made him act off. Kind of like when he basically avoided me all of New Years Eve, which was really uncalled for, but it's been months so it's fine.
   Ever since I've met him it's been kind of strange. I mean, we almost kissed one time, and back then we only really knew each other for about two months. Recently, though, after quite a while, I seem to be starting to warm up to him. It's like when I first really met Aphmau, I didn't trust her. But after months of work, we began getting really close, and sure, I got very overprotective of her. But, it's understandable, if you think about it. She is my first best friend, and I don't know how to handle relationships. Now the entire group is really getting involved, as in, I'm learning more about the people that are in it. They can be really interesting if you actually invest time in hanging out with them. And, okay sure, they can be pretty fun sometimes. Sometimes.
   Although I'm building my relationships with the others, my relationship with Travis seems to have sky rocketed. But, why? What makes him so special?
   Probably because he shows the most care for me. He's the one that makes the most effort to get to know me, and he's been paying attention to me a lot more. I mean, just look at where I'm at now. I'm practically on a date with him. A date! With Travis! And I didn't even say no!
   What has gotten into me. More like, how has Travis gotten into my head. Is he controlling my actions? The me I know would never agree to this type of thing, meeting up with someone privately to just talk.
   Who am I kidding, I have done this before. And it was also with Travis! It wasn't dubbed a date, but it's the same thing as what we're doing now. So why am I so nervous? Why was he so nervous, through text, because he didn't seem like it when we went to Olive Garden. What about the specific title makes it that much more intimate?
   Grr, I don't like this. Why did I agree to such a thing? My palms are sweaty, and they keep moving in repeating, swaying motions to try and calm their small anxiety.
   What am I even doing here? He isn't even here yet. I look like a weirdo, just standing next to the swings, a child who lost their mother, not knowing what to do. My stance isn't helping either; I'm just awkwardly leaning on one foot from the next. I alternate so my legs don't get too tired.
   "Yo, Zane!"
   I whip around to find that emerald-eyed face staring at me, a stupid grin on his face. And when did 'Yo, Zane' become a thing? That's just strange.
   Okay, Zane, you can shut up now. Stop bitching over everything.
   Well, I'm not lying.
   I should just try to enjoy it here.
   "'Yo, Zane?' Wow, what're you gonna come up with next? Bingo bongo?" I tease, my arms folded protectively across my chest as I take a sassy stance.
   "What? No, where'd you even come up with that?" Travis gave a toothy smile.
   "Um, no where," I say, just trying to extinguish that joke because he obviously didn't get it. "Anyways, where are we going?"
   "Oh, right over here, sir." He gestures dramatically from where he came from. "'Tis a surprise."
    I give a quick breath out, signifying my entertainment with him. "Okay then, let's go. I wanna see what this is."
   He laughs maniacally, somewhat as a joke, and pulls me through the park, past the adults and children.
    Why is it whenever we go somewhere, one of us -- which is, y'know, mostly Travis -- pulls the other by the hand, making us hold hands? And then they pull the other to get to somewhere. I dunno, he's just weird. It does work to get places, though.
    We slow down about halfway. Apparently the place he wants to be at is super far and I am not running all that distance.
    Well, I guess we are just going to walk like normal humans for once.
    As we walk, we don't make much chat, so I indulge in submerging myself in looking at nature. The spring and fall were always my favorite times of the year. Autumn just barely beats spring, though. Then it's winter, and after that it's summer. I don't like a hot air and the pressure of trying to have a 'summer body' by then. Honestly it just seems overrated. There's nothing real special about it. It just puts more unneeded pressure on people.
    "Wait!" I hear come from my side, and I barely glance in Travis's direction when his his hands are flying to me face. I jerk my head back in instinct, but I was too slow; Travis had his hands on my face.
    "Gah! You pleb, what are you even-"
    "Shh, I want it to be a surprise." He hums with a hint of excitement. "We need to head in this direction." He begins pulling me to the left, and I start resisting. I don't like not being able to see, I do enough of that on a daily basis.
    "Just get your hands off of me. It doesn't need to be a surprise," I say. I don't like this feeling, one where you are completely vulnerable and you have to place your fate in the hands of someone else. That's one type of trust I can't afford. Not sure if you've noticed, but I don't trust easily.
    "Oh, c'mon Zane." He urges. I stay standing where I am at. He speaks again, his the one softer. "Please? Just, trust me, okay?"
    Trust. All goes back to that five letter word. I don't seem to have enough to be generous in my offers. Oh well. I'll just have to be careful who I give it to.
    Also, another thing. How does Travis seem to have so much patience, especially with me? I must get on his nerves sometimes, I mean, I can get very tiresome. You'd need a lot of convincing and coaxing to just get me out of my room. I have to be frustrating sometimes.
    I pause, unmoving still, but then nod yes, rather slowly, almost making it seem like I'm hesitant. He doesn't say anything other than what I'm assuming is a small victory cheer, and we're back to walking. He's slightly behind me, I can hear his clumsy feet hitting the ground with an uneven timing. I'm not sure if I ever really noticed, but he does have an odd saunter.
   Well, not technically a saunter, because this is Travis we're talking about. When is he ever so calm and relaxed?
   "Okay... and-!" Travis quickly removes his hands that were guarding my face, and I flinch at the light. My eyes take a bit to adjust again, when I see the adorable layout spread before me.
   It's a beautiful spot in the park, secluded but entirely cut off, the right amount of privacy. A soft blanket sits on top of a large, classic red-and-white checkered sheet, a basket not too far off of both. The bushes on either side create a lush feel, one that wraps you up in the tender hands of kind nature. The tree in the back provides some shade, making it cool without having to manually set up some human contraption to block the rays of the sun. It makes the spot seem stalwart, nailed to the ground. The pond just in front contradicts that, adding a flowing feel, as if to tie the spot up and handing it to me as a present.
   I wonder what this place looks like at sunset, drenched in golden light, shimmering off the liquid reflection in the pond. It'd be warmer, since the tree wouldn't be able to block the sun at such an angle.
   It's perfect.
   "Oh my Irene, Travis.. this is a beautiful place." In my state of star-shock, I lay a hand on Travis's shoulder, tugging slightly, as if to balance myself if I should fall. "How did you find this, it's just so nice. So natural. So amazing." My hand retreats back to my body and I quickly walk to the blanket, sitting down immediately.
   "You like it?"
   "Like it? I love it!" I say, suddenly just filled with joy. I'm just so happy, or is it more like moved? Am I overly content because this place is so utterly beautiful, or that someone went through all this trouble, for me. Let's just say it's a little of both.
   Travis joins me at my side.
   "I'm so glad you like it. I wasn't sure, I mean, I think I got the food right, I was just nervous about the place." He reaches over for the wooden basket, placing it between us. He offers to dig in to whatever lies inside of it, and I agree. He opens it, and what I see first is cupcakes. And they are red velvet.
   Oh, this is going to be fun.
   "Okay, I know you're eyeing the cupcakes already, but we have to have an actual meal first. I brought some sandwiches." He takes out some plastic baggies with triangle-cut sandwiches, the crust off and everything.
   Wow, he really went all out.
   I laugh a small bit at my own weird joke. He hands me a sandwich.
   "I asked Aphmau what you liked the most, so if I got anything wrong, blame her, not me." He warns jokingly.
   "I'll see." I reply with some sass. Woah, that something that hardly ever happens. Extra sassy Zane is in the building, but will probably exit as quickly as he entered.
   I take a bite of one of the sandwich halves, and kind of surprisingly, it's really good. I didn't know Travis could make my favorite sandwich any better, but it has a different taste than usual. Well, glad to know he can at least make a good sandwich.
   I barely take notice of the glare I'm earning from Travis and the extra breeze hitting my lower face. I am about to ask why he keeps staring, when it hits me. I had subconsciously taken off my mask to eat with no sign of regretting it or even acknowledging I was doing it. What's strange is that I did it casually in front of another human other than Aphmau. I slight blush creeps onto my face as I look away.
   "Stop staring." I growl, keeping my voice low.
   "But why, if this is like the only time I can see most of your face. It's so cute, lemme see!" From what I can tell, looking the opposite way, he sets his own food down and starts poking my arm. "Zane," he says, stretching out the first vowel.
   That comment had made me blush even more, I can feel my face warmer than usual, so it's less likely I'm actually going to turn around.
   He keeps poking me, using both hands alternatively, when he taps not my shoulder, but my side. I squirm, leaning away from him and making a type of distressed goat noise. I whip my head over to look at him. At first he looks like a toddler who just got in big trouble, then has a mischievous look.
   "Ohh, is someone ticklish?" He tilts his head like a cat, and his raised hands suddenly become dangerous.
   "No, Travis, don't you dare." I say, still leaning back, muscles tensed incase I must make an escape.
   "Oh, I wouldn't dream of doing that."
   I purse my fully visible lips. He has slipped my dark mask under his hand, and slightly shifted away, so I know that if I wanted it back, it'd be a small struggle. I begin devising a strategy to retrieve my stolen mask.
   Maybe I could distract him, and take it back? Or use brute force and just snatch it out of his hands? No, it's better to get something by deception rather than by force. What if I just ask for it back? No, that's too simple. And boring.
   I keep thinking until I am interrupted by hands, venturing out to attack my sensitive sides. They poke and prod me, and I fall back, starting to giggle. This only gives Travis more fuel.
   "Hah, T-Travis! Stop that, hehe," I cry, flailing my arms. He only keeps going, and soon my stomach hurt from laughing so much. "Travis, stop it."
   After another painfully long minute, he stops, with his stupid grin from ear to ear. I stay on the blanket, trying to regain composure.
   "How dareth thou." I sneer, getting back up. The stupid Casanova just laughs some more. I growl. "You do not touch my sides," I say, crossing my arms across my chest. I just got so salty. Why do I have to be so sensitive to tickles, I despise it.
   "Okay, okay," Travis calms down from his little outburst of overwhelmin laughter. "I won't anymore.. for today. Just take your sandwich."
   I take my food again and pout, salty to the brim. Like my blood stream is invaded by salt.
   We continue the day, finishing the main meal and later moving on to the desert. He takes the first cupcake and hands it over to me, and I have to mask my wholesome joy, because by now I've determined he had help from Aphmau, and she most likely de baked these 'cakes. I dig in quickly, loving the elegant yet welcoming flavor of red velvet.
   "Okay, Aphmau made these for sure, right?" I ask.
   "What would you say if I said I made them?" He replies.
   "Then I'd say you're lying you piece of jerky."
   "And, you'd be correct. Aphmau did make these." He chuckles, "You really know your cupcake stuff, huh?"
   "Hey, if you live for something you gotta know a lot about it right?" I take another bite.
   I see he shifts his gaze a little, finding the grass pretty interesting probably, "Yeah.."
   Uhm.
   Did I say something wrong?
   It stays like that, an uncomfortable silence, a type that you never want, one that could be even suffocating. I shift awkwrdly, and I feel rather than see that he does to. Travis starts a new conversation, one to keep the day going, unlike seconds before when it seemed frozen. At fist, I'm still a little uncomfortable, but my walls soon break down, and I'm casual again. I even laugh at some terrible jokes he says, although the puns shut me right up, shaking my head. I talk too, not in choppy, unnatural sentences, but smooth ones that have drops of amusement mixed in.
   I've noticed that. When I talk with Travis only, the conversation seems more like one I would have with Aphmau rather than someone like Dante or Katelyn. With them, I don't really joke around, and when I speak, I don't really know what to say. I don't know where the conversation is going.
   Here, I still don't know where it will go, but I can contribute easily. It's easy to talk to him, like it's easy to talk to Aphmau. We can talk about anything and nothing, and it'd still work. This is comforting. It's nice.
   I didn't notice it first, only until Travis pointed it out, but the sun was beginning to set. The sun has just dipped under the horizon, most of it shining brilliantly, but it still creates an amazing display. The reds, oranges, and yellows blend nicely, and contrast with the cool shades of blue and purple that stretch beyond. It's so graceful, so beautiful, so warm.
   The last time I observed a sunset so breathtaking was when I was standing outside Aphmau's house, admiring the view. But this time is different. This time, I'm not alone.
   The setting has changed too. Just as I expected, the pond glimmers with radiance, the soft pink flowers in it being overwhelmed by the glow. The air is bathed in golden rays, and the tree behind us could be mistaken for a mystical tree from some old fairy tale. The bushes rustle in the soft breeze.
   There is a shift in the air, one undetectable by the unknowing or unsuspecting eye. The sounds of children and adults laughing and talking in the background seem to be washed out, and it seems very apparent that Travis is looking at me through the corners of his eyes. He turns his head to face me, and then I look at him too. I haven't put my mask back on.
   His eyes meet mine, and after a bit of looking into those caring emerald green eyes, I find myself unable to look away. He has me captured in his gaze, his oh-so soft gaze. The yellow rays of the sun have changed his features, and now his eyes have a hint of gold, mischief, shimmering against the usual dependable green. And for some reason, I find them enticing, something welcoming, ad if I'd be safe the second I allowed myself into their arms. My heart had already started thumping, so loud it was audible in my ears and I was afraid he could hear it.
   I melt, slightly, one part of me resisting, and the other wanting to just jump for it. But one side is clearly winning and I can't seem to stop it. I almost feel myself move forward when--
   Woah there Bessie!
   Hold on!
   A little too soon for this, don't ya think?
   You're right.
   My eyes dart back to hold their gaze right under the melting sun, and my body follows it. "Uh-h," I stammer, trying to avoid looking at him.
   I just ruined the moment, I know I did. But I just can't do that. It's the first date. Do I even know him that well?
   I'm just not ready.
   "I- uh.." I still can't seem to avoid words, my heart is racing, but not in the good way. My palms get increasingly sweaty as I try to process what just happened. My arms go to cover my body, a motion I always do when I need protection from the world.
   Travis seems to take notice of this awkwardness a few seconds after I do, and he totally sees how shaken I am. "I-! Oh my Enki, I-I'm so sorry!" He flails, unsure of what to do. This little state of panic continues, until there's nothing left other than discomfort. The awkwardness in the air is palpable.
   "I'm so so so sorry Zane, I didn't mean to- I-!" Travis stutters. "I-..."
   "No, no, i-it's okay.." I trail off. We both look away, flustered, trying to avoid any kind of contact. The day goes on, the awkwardness not completely leaving until we agree to call it a day, and pack the things. We begin to walk back to the car he came in.
   Why am I so stupid? Why did I pull away? Why was I even going for it in the first place?! What has been up with me lately. First I start to become good friends with Travis, then he invites me to a date, I actually say yes, and here we almost just...
   No. I refuse to believe in it. I can't do this again! I shouldn't trust easily, that got me in enough difficult situations, so why am I here, just being all life-is-a-fairy-tale with Travis?
   I sigh, quiet enough so that Travis won't hear.
   This is confusing.
   We get to the car, and the ride home is no better than outside.
   I get off, in front of my house, say goodbye to Travis, and walk up to the door. I have my head down, sulking, and I pay no attention to the area. I get in my house quickly, and rush to my room and partial anger.
   Ugh.

Word count: 3418
Y'ALL I'M PROUD OF THIS. IT'S LONGER THAN USUAL AND ACTUALLY KIND OF NICE :) i'm accomplished.
Also, I realize this is much like the actual steven bomb, because the first few chapter were to get the ball rolling, and the last one is the big one.
Live , Love, Lapis, hope y'all have a great day or night! Bye my marvelous Gems~!