Chapter XXXI - Amusement.

~Travis's PoV~

   I dragged Zane around the fields, trying to find one that I though he'd like. I could try some cliché couple stuff they always do in movies. Or maybe some usual friend stuff, like stuffing our faces funnel cake. I decide on doing a healthy mixture of both. We made our way through the crowds to get to the Ferris wheel first. The father of all romantic amusement park scenes.
   "Wow, the Ferris wheel first?" Zane said in plain voice. "You really are cheesy."
   "Yeah, yeah, I know. But it's the best place to start!" I responded, getting in the back of the line. "Name a better place to start." 
   "Um, what about pretty much any other ride here?" Zane stressed that any ride could be better, obviously not completely open to the idea of actually of having fun today.
   "Stop being a negative Nancy and just wait until we're on." I stated as I slightly nudge him. Zane made a strange noise, something along the lines of a grunt or a sigh. He murmured an agreement, and we waited. The line slowly got shorter and shorter, until I was sure we would get on the next time the ride stopped.
   The Ferris wheel it self was most likely the tallest attraction in the entire park. It was so huge, I was starting to question how the people who run this circus slash amusement park got this ginormous wheel to places. Then I came to the conclusion that the wheel and the other huge attractions probably stayed here while the other stores and smaller rides traveled around. Weird tactic, but hey, it worked for having big rides.
   Soon enough, the ride slowed to an end, and the people came down from their carts, one by one. The employee signaled us to wait until the last ones got off, then assigned four people to a cart. There were two groups in front of us who stepped into their carts, then we were up next. Our cart was a light teal. The two of us stepped in and chose to sit on the right side, while the two people behind us sat on the other side. We went up with chunky motions, not as smooth yet because people were still being filed into the metal carts.
   The other two people we shared the limited space with was a gentle-faced guy and a cheerful girl. The guy would whisper something to her, using some hand gestures, and the brown-haired girl would laugh to herself. She held a big stuffed turtle in her lap, using her spare hand to twirl a lock of hair around her finger. From what I could hear, the two were flirting with each other. I began to get the feeling these two were on a date of some sort. For some reason, I got a little nervous, but Zane seemed not to notice, as he was looking outside.
   The cart had no glass windows but openings in the metal, high above the cushioned seat. Probably a rule saying it has to be pretty high up so that children or maybe even people don't fall.
   We were almost to the top when the Ferris wheel began picking up normal speed, and as I looked to the bottom I realized everyone was on and the ride had started. The ride was a normal Ferris wheel ride -- nothing too notable about it. We went around a couple of times, with Zane still having his head looking opposite of my direction, gazing at the people passing by.
   Then I thought to myself:
   How could I make this more enjoyable for him? My mission to make him happy still stands; but how to accomplish it...
   The ride soon ended, and we got off, still having no conversation. I huffed, defeated on trying to think of ideas.
   "What do you wanna do now? I honestly don't have a clue to go." I state, disappointed slightly. I didn't even expect him to answer, and I doubted that if he did, it'd be useful. He'd just be a usual Zane and shrug his shoulders and go back to being a social outcast.
   He took a deep breath, his tone giving the feeling he was actually trying to give a suggestion, "what if we go get cotton candy?" This answer surprised me, I didn't think he'd put effort into what he'd say. Much less having to do with food, something he'd need to take his mask off to do.
   "Um, sure." My voice made it obvious that I was hesitant, but a quickly changed it. "Alrighty then, let's go."
   We walked back through the groups of people to try and find the cotton candy mini shop. While walking, I spotted shades of pink and blue, the colors of traditional cotton candy. I was about to nudge Zane, alerting him that I found it, when I realized that it was the sugar string we looked for -- it was Katelyn and Kawaii~Chan. I stared at them, and they saw me glaring at them from afar, and noticed Zane too. Zane did see them as well, but only blinked in their general direction before continuing. The ladies didn't look away though, but they kept smirking smugly at me, gesturing to Zane. The two made little kissy faces, well, more KC, while Katelyn was trying to keep from laughing at Kawaii~Chan's silliness. I know they were mocking me immediately. I felt my face warm up a little as I brushed them off and kept up with Zane.
   Afterwards, the small white-and-pink cart that sold cotton candy soon presented itself. We bought some, with Zane offering to pay, mind you, and merrily continued on our way. Zane got a blue floof to match his eyes, while I got a pink floof because why not. We wandered around the fairgrounds a little longer, enjoying our treats, while trying to figure out which things to do next. The entire time, Zane having his mask down far enough to eat his candy, but unfortunately, the cotton covered most of his face like the mask anyways.
   After the sugar string was completely eaten up, we embarked on an journey through the park, visiting multiple attractions, working our way up to the bigger rides. I even heard Zane laugh a couple times.
   Once we agreed we'd tired ourselves out with all the rides and walking, I had an idea. It was the perfect time as well, as the sun had began to set. I led him back to the hill I found him on -- the one where you could see the whole place. He seemed a little unsure, but went up with me anyways. I sat down next to the tree, and patted the slave next to me, signaling to him to sit down too. After a small moment of convincing him, he joined me on the ground.
   When he asked me we were up there, I responded, "Because, the sunset is beautiful." I wanted so badly to add, just like you, but I was afraid that'd ruin the moment.
   He looked at me for a second, as if I'd gone completely mad, but then he looked off into the distance, into the sunset. And by the look of his face, I just knew he was breathless. I determined he was a sucker for sunsets, just like me. I chuckled softly at his expression, and looked at the blend of hot colors on the horizon. So intense and bold, but then again fragile and detailed. I loved sunsets. I always felt that people hardly ever payed attention to them, taken them for granted. It's always like that. You don't realize how much you'll miss something until it's gone.
   That very thought gave me a hard pang in my chest. The day was coming closer. I was always a mess that day. I gulped, scared, but not showing it.
   Not yet. Not now.
   Zane spoke, "hey."
   I glanced over to him, his hair covering his face a little more since he was now looking down.
   "Thank you, for y'know, for getting my mind off things." Zane said, already quiet. But the next sentence was even softer. "I really needed it."
   "No problem," I grinned. "That's just what I'm here for."
   The array of beautiful colors vanished behind the line where the ground meets the sky, and the park's lights were coming back on. We sat in silence for a few more seconds, before I got up and once again helped Zane up.
   "Well, that was fun. Let's go meet the others, shall we? They should be waiting for us my now." I said, remembering what Aphmau had announced. We made our way down the hill, and reunited with our group.

Word count: 1469
Wow it's late. I should really get to sleep. But quick question.
I'm still going her make the story to how I have ideas for, buuut, I kind of wanna see how the people who read this want it to go. Maybe, just maybe, I could tailor it to what you guys would like to see.

*Have the story go a more sadening route, with dark-ish topics [which is the on I have more ideas for, and overall just more "drama"]
*Have the story be a bit happier, with some minor sad moments, but nothing too serious [I'd have to think about ideas]
If you read, please tell me in the comments!
Live, Love, Lapis, hope y'all have a great day or night! Bye my Gems~.