Grimes Halloween

As I sat in the bay window of the house I shared with Carol, I gazed outside at the sunny fall morning. The leaves were just starting to turn orange and brown, fluttering one by one to the ground below. This was always my favorite time of year as a child. Mom would wake up early and start baking cookies. Carl would even come over to eat some. I smiled at the memory.

The smell of pumpkin spice would fill the air...gosh, I missed home. And the way my life used to be. I swung the foot that wasn't tucked underneath me back and forth across the wooden floor. Suddenly, my dark brown eyes drifted over to a tall figure walking down the empty street and I grinned as the familiar sheriff's hat came into view. Carl. He was pushing Judith around in her baby stroller.

He looked adorable, just walking down the road like that. Like he didn't have a care in the world...Like there was nothing to fear outside those walls surrounding us. I hopped up out of my seat and walked out of the house. My Converse-clad feet trudged over the cracked pavement to him.

"Hey," I greeted, smiling up at him as I neared.

He grinned, looking over at me.

"Hey to you, too," he said, resting one hand on the stroller and digging the other into the pocket of his faded jeans.

"Taking Judith for a walk, I see?" I asked, reaching a hand out to take one of her small ones in mine, "Can I accompany you?"

Judith gurgled happily and opened her tiny mouth to suck on my fingers. Instead of being disgusted over her chewing on my hand, I just laughed at her baby-like behavior before looking back up at Carl. He laughed along with me and nodded.

"Sure, we could always use more company. Right, Judy?" he asked, smiling down at his baby sister.

Carl pushed the stroller onward and I fell into step beside him. Our footsteps echoed on the road as we walked, the only sound beside the chirping of birds.

"If things were...back to normal, I'd already be celebrating Halloween," I said softly, a sad smile on my face.

He nodded, a piece of his brown hair potruding slightly out from underneath his hat.

"Like eating Halloween oreos?" he said, cracking a smile.

I nodded and laughed.

"And Halloween Kit-Kats too," I grinned, putting my hands in the pockets of my blue hoodie.

"Don't forget the Pumpkin Delights!" he added.

I shook my head at him and giggled.

"Yeah, but I'd be listening to the music too," I continued, kicking a stray rock out of the way with my shoe.

"He did the mash, he did the Monster Mash," he sang, swaying from side to side as we walked.

I burst out laughing, almost doubling over.

"It was a graveyard smash," he contiuned singing, making a face, "It caught on in a flash...He did the Monster Mash..."

"Isn't that kind of inappropriate? Now that we have scary monsters?" I said, biting my lip.

He shook his head.

"Well, they wouldn't be scary if they did the Monster Mash," he told me, a serious expression on his face.

I snickered, putting a hand over my mouth.

"You're insane, Grimes," I smiled.

He grinned and turned to me.

"Hey, I have an idea. Meet me at my house later, okay? At seven. I have a surprise for you," he said and I arched an eyebrow at him.

"Really?" I asked and then sighed, "Fine, I'll come. I'll see you at seven."

I waved at him before walking off back to Carol's house. The hours seemed to drag on but finally, seven came and I wandered over to his house. The lights were on and Rick sat in a rocking chair on the porch. Judith was sitting in his lap, cooing. As I skipped up the stairs, I smiled over at the two of them.

"Hey, Mr. Grimes," I greeted him on my way to the door.

He nodded to me and smiled back at me, "Hello, Sadie."

I made my way through the house and up to Carl's bedroom. Knocking on the door lightly, I heard him say it was open. The white wooden door swung open and my hand flew to my mouth at what I saw before me. His bedroom had been transformed into a movie theatre of sorts. It was dark except for the light from the TV in the center of the room. Carl sat on his bed, a bag of candy set beside him. I beamed at him and he grinned back.

"No! How did you-?" I asked, sitting down beside him.

He shrugged and handed me a candy bar.

"Don't question it. Just enjoy!" he laughed.

He pressed play on the movie and I flipped over the candy in my hand. I shrieked in surprise and Carl chuckled.

"A HALLOWEEN KIT-KAT! THANK YOU!" I squealed, reaching over to give him a hug.

"Okay, okay, you're welcome," he smiled, extracting himself from my embrace.

Suddenly, the music from the movie made my eyes snap to the screen.

"NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!" I cried out.

I whipped around to look at Carl.

"How in the world did you do this?!" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

He shrugged, grinning mischeviously.

"I have my ways," he said.

I shook my head at him before turning my eyes back to the movie just as Jack Skellington came on the screen.

"Happy Halloween, Sadie," he said softly in the dark.

I smiled even though I knew he couldn't see it.

"Happy Halloween, Carl."

Note: Hope you liked that seasonal freebie, guys! More one shots are coming once Season 7 starts! :)