Caught in the Crossfire [AU]

Note: This one shot is actually based off of a YouTube video I watched called 'Carl Grimes Caught in the Crossfire' by the lovely 'walkerswerepeopletoo' that is actually the video above if you guys wanna watch it or just listen to the song whilst you read. And anyway, ever since watching it last year in my Carl obsession, I've always thought of him when I hear the song so it seemed appropriate to finally get a chance to work it into a one shot :) This one is also set later on in the series, a bit AU-ish and several years down the road :) I hope you guys like it! ^_^

"He trade his guns for love but he's caught in the crossfire, and he keeps waking up but it's not to the sound of birds..." Stephen sang out out from the small radio atop the counter as I mixed cake batter into a bowl.

I nodded my head along to the beat of the music, nostalgia and memories coming back to me in flashes. It made me remember the first time I'd met my husband, Carl. Wow, twenty years ago today.

~ Flashback ~

As I made my way into the seemingly-abandoned house, I heard strange noises coming from upstairs. Almost like...slurping. No, that couldn't be right! Holding my gun steady at my side, I climbed up the stairs. There had been no walkers downstairs. My stomach sunk to my knees then.

What if it was a walker? And it was eating someone right his minute? Once I reached the top, the reverberating sound of music filled my ears. Frowning, slowly, I walked over to the ajar door and pushed it open. The room inside was empty except for a CD player that was playing a song but the small window across from it was open. And sitting there on the rooftop was a boy with his back facing me wearing a Sheriff's hat.

In his hands, he held a large can of pudding. Holding a spoon to his lips, he unceremoniously slurped it up.

"He trade his guns for love but he's caught in the crossfire, and he keeps waking up but it's not to the sound of birds..." Stephen sang out from the CD player as I crept closer to the window, "The tyranny, the violent streets, deprived of all that we're blessed with, and we can't get enough, no..."

Sticking my head out, I snickered.

"Heaven if you sent us down so we could build a playground, for the sinners to play as saints, you'd be so proud of what we made," I suddenly began to sing along to the song, "I hope you got some beds around 'cause you're the only refuge now, for every mother, every child, every brother that's caught in the crossfire..."

The beat took it away then, dub-step playing out loudly from the speakers. The boy outside wobbled on the shingles as he quickly twisted around to face me. The pudding can went tumbling down the roof as he grabbed his gun from its holster and aimed it at me. I just shrugged at his display of bravery, instead choosing to lean on the window sill.

"You know, I never heard any more songs by that dude. Just that one," I said, nodding towards the radio.

The boy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I saw him lower the gun slightly.

"But...I am fond of pudding." I said, glancing briefly down at the can lying on the ground.

He grinned mischievously then, lowering the gun completely and I grinned back at him.

~ End of Flashback ~

"I'd trade my luck to know why he's caught in the crossfire," I sang along, sliding the cake pan into the oven to bake.

Arms wrapped around my middle then and a voice sang softly in my ear, "And I'm here waking up to the sun and the sounds of the birds..."

I giggled as soft lips pressed to my cheek and I twisted around in the person's embrace to come face to face with a pure ocean-blue orb. I pushed a strand of brown hair from his forehead then, my fingers lingering on his skin.