Keeping Warm

"Floor's cold,"

"No, it's not,"

"Yes, it is,"

"Well, what do you expect me to do about it?"

"Get me a blanket!"

"There is no blanket!"

"But I need something!"

Silence.

"Carl?"

A groan.

"What now?"

"I'm cold."

Carl shot up across from me and stomped over to where I lay on the cool floor of the barn. Stripping off his plaid over-shirt, he flung it towards me and I caught it in my hands.

"Happy?" he huffed as he lied back down where he was before.

I slipped my arms through it, the soft material brushing against my skin. The shirt was warm from his body heat and smelled like him - chocolate pudding mixed with the metal scent of a gun. I smiled as I burrowed into it.

"Yes, quite," I chirped happily.

"Good. Go to sleep." Carl grumbled, turning away from me.

After escaping Terminus, we'd all been on the run trying to find somewhere to stay. We stumbled across this barn earlier in the day and decided it was the best choice to camp out in for the night. Good choice for who I'm not sure because I was still freezing in here! I licked my dry lips.

"Carl?" I asked hesitantly.

"WHAT?!" he whisper-shouted, careful not to wake the others.

I stayed silent.

"Well, are you gonna tell me or not?!" he huffed.

"I'm still cold..." I trailed off, shivering.

With a slight groan, he picked himself up off the ground and walking over, lied down beside me. He didn't say anything, just wrapped his arms around me. I twisted around to face him and blue orbs met mine. His eyes had always been breathtaking though I'd never told him so. We'd been friends ever since I met him when he found me on a supply run and brought me back to the prison. His hand reached out and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Rest, okay? I'll keep you warm." he told me softly.

I snuggled into him then, his heart beating methodically in my ear.