Hold Your Fire!

I gasped as a crash of thunder shook the walls, reverberating in my ear drums. A thick lump of fear formed in my throat and I clutched the covers tight in my fists, bringing it up to my neck. The rain battered the windows, blurring the outside world from view completely. It was dark all throughout the house and I let out a shaky breath into the silence surrounding me. Everyone was asleep by now so I even if I did decide to get up out of bed, there was no one to talk to. Not even Carl. Him, Glenn, and Michonne had went on a supply run a while ago and still weren't back.

I wasn't worried, though. Carl could take care of himself and I knew if anything should happen, Glenn and Michonne would keep him safe while I wasn't there to. But still, I couldn't help but see his blue eyes in my mind - clear as the ocean and filled with love when he looked at me. Just then, another clap of thunder echoed throughout the house and I gave out a small shriek, diving beneath my covers once more. I really needed that security right now. As the world quieted down outside, I let out a shaky sigh and poked my head out from behind the blankets.

Where was Carl when I needed him the most? Biting my lip, I made a snap decision and went with it. Sliding out from underneath the covers, I raced down the hallway and down to the kitchen. If they were already heading back, I'd be able to see from the window. Crossing my fingers for luck, I trekked across the tiled floor with my bare feet all the way over to the glass-pane window above the sink. It was too dark to see so I pressed my face up against it, cupping my hands over the glass to try and make out anything.

But it was too dark - the inky-blackness of the night obscured everything from view. I could just barely see trees swaying in the distance just out past the gate but that wasn't saying much. Suddenly, a flash of lightning lit up the sky - illuminating all that was outside. Standing with its face pressed against the glass and yellowed teeth gnashing was a walker! A ear-splitting shriek ripped from my throat as I sprung away from the window as if I'd been burned, landing hard on my back on the tile. Its hands were pressed to the glass, pushing on it as it looked down at me with lifeless eyes.

The skin hung in rotted tatters off its bones, exposing its teeth and jaw bone. My heart clenched in my chest just as I heard the sound of several pairs of feet pounding down the stairs. I was surrounded by faces then as Maggie and Sasha helped me up off the floor. Daryl, Abraham, and Eric immediately ran outside and I heard the sound of a gun shot.

"Are you okay?" Sasha asked me in concern and I swallowed, nodding.

"I'm fine..." I assured her just as Rick stepped up to me, putting a hand on my shoulder in a fatherly way.

I'd known him since the prison days way back when. My parents had been killed in the Woodbury walker attack and since then, Rick had always treated me just like I was his own daughter. It was part of the reason I'd become so close to Carl. The boy who I'd once considered a brother had slowly began to mean so much more to me...

"What happened?" Rick asked me suddenly, snapping me from my thoughts.

I met his ice-blue eyes and sighed, shaking my head, "I don't know. I was just coming down here to...to see if Carl and the others were back yet and-and...that walker was looking at me through the window,"

Rick nodded, rubbing his chin in thought briefly just as Daryl poked his head around the doorway from outside.

"Rick, you're gonna wanna see this!" he called to us and we all made our way over to the doorway, Rick joining him on the porch.

We heard it before we saw it - a herd of walkers was lined up against the gate, snarling and pushing their arms through the bars in an attempt to get inside. I held back a gasp as we looked on in horror. Immediately, Rick began giving orders - dispersing men towards the walkers. Sasha went to join the others and soon, it was just Maggie and I left. She rubbed my back, attempting to comfort me and I bit my lip as anxiety rose up inside me. What if Carl was out there? And Glenn and Michonne?

What if they got blocked by the walkers and couldn't get inside? What if one of them had gotten bit? What if Carl... I shook the thoughts away, grabbing my gun by the door. Maggie began to protest but seeing she wouldn't win, she grabbed her own and followed me as I ran outside to join the others. I had to help them!

They still could be out there, trying to get inside. I aimed my gun at one of the walker's heads as we neared and pulled the trigger. A bullet shot out of the chamber, successfully hitting its intended target. The head exploded instantly in a rain of blood and brain chunks. I kept going after that - taking them down one by one as I fought with the others. The air was filled with the sound of gun shots, making my ears ring but I kept going. Stepping back onto the grass then, I cocked my gun before taking another shot as another shadowy figure came into view through the gate.

I had my finger on the trigger, ready to pull it when suddenly, the figure gave a shout and put their hands up in the air.

"Hold your fire! It's me!" a familiar voice called out and I felt my heart leap in my chest.

The gun slipped from my hand, falling to the pavement with a clatter.

"Carl?" I breathed and slowly, he came closer, stepping out of the shadows.

The moonlight lit up his features - highlighting the Sheriff's hat and bright blue eye. Without any hesitations, I ran to him. My booted feet thudded across the road till finally, my body collided with his. Instantly, his arms encircled me, holding onto me so tightly I could scarcely breathe. But I didn't care as I let out a deep sigh, breathing in the scent of him.

"You're okay..." I exhaled slowly and he nodded, his chin brushing the top of my head.

He pulled back from me then to cup my face with his hands, forcing me to meet his gaze.

"I'll always come back to you. Always."