Fighting Words

Judith giggled as my little sister, Kelsie, made faces at her. She wasn't that much older than Judy - she was only five. But she liked the idea of being an "older sister" to her. Even if they weren't related by blood. I smiled as I watched them play. They were a handful but it was my turn to babysit.

Carl and I had been best friends since we'd arrived at the prison from Woodbury. And I was the only one he trusted enough to take care of his baby sister while he went on supply runs. The doorbell rang suddenly and I hopped up from my seat to answer it. A smile lit up my face when the door swung open to reveal my boyfriend of one year, Ron. I grabbed him by the hand and pulled him inside. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I pressed my lips to his soft ones and his hands went to my waist.

"Eww!" Kelsie grimaced and Ron chuckled against my lips before releasing me.

"Hey, Kelsie." he greeted her and she huffed in response.

As much as I liked him, my sister never had.

"Hey, my Amaya." he told me softly, brushing a strand of my brown hair away from my face.

I blushed scarlet as he leaned in to kiss me again. A sudden loud cough made us break apart. I glanced up to see a red-faced Carl watching us. His arms were crossed and he looked angry for some reason.

"Oh, hey, Carl!" Ron greeted him happily and Carl huffed in annoyance.

"What's he-" he said, pointing a finger in an accusatory way at Ron, "-doing here?"

"What do you mean? What's wrong with him being here? This is my house," I fumed.

Carl rolled his eyes.

"I know that but I don't want him around Judith," he shot back.

"Carl, you shouldn't put up with this!" a feminine voice piped up suddenly.

Glancing behind Carl's towering frame, I noticed Enid standing there. Her hands were placed on her petite hips and here eyebrows were arched in defiance.

"Now what is she doing here?!" I growled at my best friend.

Carl narrowed his blue eyes at me.

"She's my girlfriend and she has a right to be here," he defended her.

"I can go wherever I please-" Enid started but I cut her off.

"Oh, shut it, you little witch!" I snapped, making her mouth form into an 'o'.

"Make me, you freak!" Enid shot back.

"Hey, don't talk to her like that!" Carl snarled at Enid.

I arched my eyebrows in surprise. I wasn't the one dating him. Why was he acting like this? Enid pouted up at him.

"Why not?" she whined.

"Because I like her!" he shouted angrily.

My jaw dropped. Did-did Carl just say-? His startling blue eyes connected to mine and I bit my lip as butterflies erupted in my stomach. Suddenly, a hand grabbed my wrist and I glanced up to meet Ron's steely gaze.

"What?" I hissed at him.

"We're going now!" he said, his voice low and dangerous.

I ripped my arm from his grasp.

"No! I'm staying right here," I said defiantly.

He gritted his teeth.

"You're my girlfriend, Amaya! And you're leaving with me!"

"No! I'm staying with Carl!"

Ron scoffed angrily.

"Fine. Fine then, we're through! And don't you dare come groveling back to me!" he shouted and I flinched as he stepped out the door, slamming it behind him.

Enid huffed.

"Well, I'm not staying either if this is the way things are going to be, Carl!" Enid said venomously before she, too, stalked out the door.

A moment of awkward silence passed between us then before I glanced up at Carl. My brown eyes met his blue ones and he smiled shyly.

"So...you like me?" I asked him quietly.

An uncharacteristic blush lit up his cheeks beneath his Sheriff's hat.

"Maybe..." he said, his voice soft.

"Oh, just kiss her already!" my little sister piped up suddenly.

I laughed when I looked over and saw her and Judith watching us intently. Carl leaned close to me, his Sheriff's hat brushing against my forehead before his soft velvet lips pressed to mine. I melted into it and my hands cupped his face. After a few more seconds, he broke away and a grin split his face.

"And just think, the whole time you've been dating that loser - you could have had me." he winked.