Keep Your Cookies!

"Cookies are bad for you," Carl informed me as we sat cross-legged across from each other in the prison cell that was his "room".

Staying at the prison was safe, of course. And there were no walkers here to attack us. But gosh, it was boring! So obviously Carl and I had to find ways to entertain ourselves. And that meant filching some cookies we had found in the cafeteria...

"No, they're not!" I protested, biting off a hunk of one of them.

The delicious chocolate chips melted on my tongue and I hummed joyfully.

"Those are!" Carl pressed on, pointing to the plate that sat beside me.

"How cwome?" I asked around the bits of cookie in my mouth.

"They're Carol's cookies..." he told me slowly, arching his eyebrows.

Cookie crumbs fell off my lips and I immediately spat the bite back out. I heaved the rest of the cookie away from me. It went sailing through the air with a zing! before hitting Daryl in the eye just as he rounded the corner.

"Hey!" he protested, putting a hand over his eye.

Carl and I gaped at each other, our eyes wide as saucers. I snatched the plate of cookies and held it close to me. Hurriedly, we got up from the floor and scrambled out the cell door past Daryl.

"Hey, come back here, ya little heatherns!" he hollered after us.

His heavy combat boots echoed on the concrete floor behind us as we raced down the prison hallways away from him. The crossbow he had slung over his shoulder bounced up and down noisily on his back, echoing off the walls. We turned the corners sharply, our feet sliding on the floor. I bit back a laugh as I glanced over at Carl. His Sheriff's hat had slipped down, almost completley covering his eyes. Only a sliver of his eyes and his nose was visible now. He turned his head to look at me.

"What?" he asked, dumbfounded.

I couldn't help it. A laugh bubbled up from my lips as I ran beside him and with a finger, I pointed to his hat. He grumbled before re-adjusting it.

"Not funny. Not funny at all." he muttered as I continued to laugh loudly.

Daryl's booted footsteps sounded closer and I cursed to myself. He must have heard me. Suddenly, we reached a dead end.

"Carl!" I hissed, looking for an exit, "What do we do now?!"

He swivled his head around frantically before his blue eyes landed on a door nearby. Yanking it open, he pushed me inside before slipping in himself. He slammed it closed behind us and I held my breath as I heard Daryl's foosteps coming closer.

"What if he-"I started but Carl clamped a hand over my mouth, cutting me off.

I flicked my tongue out across his palm and he recoiled away from me with a yelp.

"Gross!" he whisper-yelled and I started laughing hysterically at his reaction.

A clatter of feet echoed out in the hallway all of a sudden and Carl tried to shush me but I just coudln't quit laughing. Suddenly, something warm and soft connected to my lips and with a start, I realized he was kissing me. Part of me told me to slap him but the other half told me to kiss him back. Well...I listened to the other half. Closing my eyes, I kissed Carl back. My hands tangled themselves into his brown hair.

I melted into it, the taste of his lips intoxicating me. Needless to say, it was an amazing first kiss. Then without warning, the door was yanked open and there stood a fuming Daryl. We broke apart immediately, a blush tinting my cheeks.

"You little-" Daryl started but I slipped past him, Carl following closely behind me.

And the chase was back on! We ran down the hallway with a loud clattering of feet. Rounding the corner, I collided with another person and we both fell to the ground on our behinds. I shook my curly hair out of my face and glanced up to see Carol looking back at me. Her eyes hardened when she saw the plate of cookies I was carrying so I passed them to Carl. He shot me a glare before smiling innocently over at Carol.

Suddenly, an out-of-breath Daryl sprinted into the room before hunching over with his hands on his knees. He pointed to me angrily but I just smiled at him.

"That girl just slung a cookie in my eye!" he drawled, his thick Southern accent clinging to 'my' and 'eye'.

My smile dropped and I shot Carl a look. He nodded once to me before picking up the plate of cookies and shoving them into Carol's lap.

"Here, keep your cookies!" he told her, grabbing my hand and whisking me away down the hall.

As the pair walked away, Carol and Daryl could just hear the faint sound of Carl's voice:

"I told you those cookies were bad!"