Changing Feelings

I glanced over at Carl and almost laughed. He was eating on another can of pudding he'd found on a supply run. But I couldn't hold it back and a giggle erupted from my lips. He looked at me quizzically and I pointed to the corner of his mouth.

"You got a little..."I trailed off and he wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve.

"It's not funny." he said, fighting a smile himself.

I just rolled my eyes. He was 21 years old but he had always been like this. See, Carl and I had been close throughout this whole apocalypse. Lori and my mom had been best friends and likewise, Carl and I had been too. He'd been an only child and so was I so we'd just clicked. At 19 years old now, I'd been two years younger than him back then but we'd grown up together in our small little neighborhood.

And then...the outbreak happened. My mom got bit and turned into one of those...things. Lori had grabbed me up and took me home with her after that. Those few days, I played with Carl around the house and it was easy to forget that everything had changed in the world. But it didn't last. More people became infected and soon, they were rampant in the streets.

It was pure chaos. After that, we went with Carl's dad's friend, Shane, to the mountains. I'd been with the group ever since. I leaned my head against the back of the couch and pulled my legs up to my chest. It seemed like now things were going back to the way they used to be though. These people at Alexandria were nice and this place was slowly starting to feel like home to me. Plus...there was that one guy, Ron Anderson.

He was so different than the other guys I'd met. He was sweet, kind, and he always made me laugh. I admit, I was already starting to fall for him and we'd only been here five months. He lived alone, of course and had no family to speak of. But that wasn't really any different than the other civilians here. Almost everyone had lost someone to this outbreak.

Suddenly, a knock on the door broke me from my reverie.

"Cwan you get dat?" Carl asked around the bite of pudding in his mouth, not bothering to look up from the can.

I rolled my eyes and hopped up from the couch before answering the door. Butterflies erupted in my stomach when I saw who it was. Speak of the devil. Ron Anderson stood in the doorway, a small smile plastered on his face. He wore a navy blue beanie that just covered his reddish-light brown hair.

"Hey, Amaya. How are you?" he greeted me, smiling.

I twisted my dark brown hair around my finger nervously.

"H-hi, Ron," I stuttered out, blushing furiously beneath my dark skin tone.

That was one thing the apocalypse had robbed me of - being able to talk to boys. I never saw anyone but Carl so it was hard to figure out just how to talk to a guy my age without sounding like an idiot. I gestured behind me.

"Come in," I welcomed him.

Just as I stepped aside to let him in, I felt a body collide with my back and glanced up. Carl towered over me, his Sheriff's hat making him look intimidating.

"Carl!" I hissed at him, "Move and let him in!"

He glared daggers at Ron but obeyed my order and stepped back. Ron smiled at me as he walked in but stayed well away from Carl. The next few hours were spent playing video games with Ron and Carl sitting in a corner, sulking. Why in the world was he even acting that way? Sure, we'd grown up like brother and sister but he didn't have to be so over-protective of me like this! Just as I scored on the game, Ron nudged me playfully and I grinned over at him.

"Who knew a girl would be so good at video games?" he teased and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I've always been good, thank you very much." I shot back, grinning.

I could feel Carl's eyes boring into the back of my skull as we flirted. Ron chuckled then and got up from the floor before excusing himself to the bathroom. After he left the room, Carl walked over and plopped down on the floor beside me.

"He's so fake," he grumbled and I shook my head at his childish behavior.

"No, he's not! I think he's sweet and genuine," I smiled, biting my lip as thoughts of Ron invaded my mind.

Carl scoffed.

"No, he isn't! And he doesn't deserve you!" he retorted, his Sheriff's hat slipping over his eyes.

I giggled at him and re-adjusted his hat before glancing at him. His piercing blue eyes gazed deeply into my brown ones.

"He's not good enough for a girl like you, Amaya," he whispered huskily, leaning closer to me.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but didn't push him away. Where was he going with this?

"Maybe today's the day you see that," he finished before pressing his soft lips to mine.

I was shocked at first and didn't know what to do. But slowly, my eyes fluttered closed and I kissed him back. His lips were soft as rose petals and glided over mine effortlessly. I ran my fingers through his shaggy brown hair, getting lost in his kiss. His hands found their way to my waist and pulled me closer to him. What lasted only a few seconds felt like an eternity before a cough made us jump apart.

Looking up, I was surprised to see Ron standing there. His face wore a hurt but understanding expression, almost as if he'd expected this.

"I, um, I think I'll be going now." he said, smiling sadly before walking out the front door.

I almost called him back but couldn't make myself....because I didn't want him anymore. I wanted Carl. Glancing back at him, I noticed Carl gazing at me again. But this time, he was smirking. He knew he'd won.

"It's not nice to look so smug like that," I reprimanded him, a hint of amusement in my voice.

He bit his lip, giving me butterflies before pulling me back to him.

"You like it when I look smug." he mumbled against my lips before kissing me once more.