The Princess & The Sheriff

I brushed a dyed blue dreadlock back behind my shoulder as I walked behind my father and his men. I'd never actually been on any of these trips with him until this one. And this one was one of the most important. Dad's ally, Alexandria, was under attack and they needed all the men and ammo they could get. Part of me couldn't believe we were finally going to war with Negan. I was only 10 years old when Negan first came with his men, taking over everything we'd worked so hard for.

It had been five years since then and even though I'd become older, nothing had changed. Not for us or the Kingdom. Life was still the same monotonous prison it had been before. But slowly, things were changing. Rick and his group had finally had enough of this so-called "peace" with Negan. They were ready for war.

And after Benjamin's death, father was, too. A pang of sadness filled my chest and I sighed, remembering the boy who'd been, for all intents and purposes, my brother. I loved him with all my heart...and now he was gone. Just like that, in the blink of an eye, he was gone... Warm tears filled my eyes but I blinked them back as I felt a sudden tug at the hem of my skirt. Glancing down into the innocent face of Henry, I smiled before picking him up and balancing him on my hip.

Honestly, he was too old for this now but neither of us minded. I loved the kid like he's my own brother...he is my brother. He snuggled his little blond head into my neck and I giggled, rubbing his back lightly as I stepped up to walk by my father. He grinned when he saw the two of us and ruffled Henry's hair.

"Are you ready to help save this town, Henry?" he asked in his booming, "royal" voice as I called it.

I rolled my eyes playfully as Henry chirped a resounding "yes" to him.

"Dad, what are we gonna do when we get there? I can leave Henry in one of the houses and get a gun-" I started to plan out my strategy when he cut me off.

"You're not going to fight," Ezekiel told me sternly but calmly.

I frowned at him, "What do you mean I'm not fighting? Of course I am! That's why you brought me!... Right?"

He shook his head vehemently, continuing to walk down the road that led to the tiny town, Shiva by his side.

"No, I brought you here so you could help in the aftermath. Not in the fighting - it's too dangerous! You need to look after Henry for me,"

"But dad, I want to help! I want to fight like the others!"

He spun on his heel to face me then as I gently set Henry down on the ground. His little hand grabbed for mine and squeezing his fingers gently, I held onto him. Ezekiel's brown eyes were hard but only for a second before they softened, his hand coming to rest on my shoulder.

"Keziah, please! I...I don't want to lose another one of my children..." he said sofly, his voice tinged with pain.

The anger deflated from me and I nodded solemnly, "I understand, dad... I'll...I'll take care of Henry for you..."

Slowly, he shot me a sad smile and nodded once to me before we continued our trek. It didn't take long to reach Alexandria. And once we'd sneaked into the town, the firefight began. Within minutes, I'd carried Henry to safety - squatting in the closest house nearby. It had gray siding and baby blue shutters on the outside. But Henry and I sneaked in the back way, not wanting to get caught in case the current owners were still here.

We'd come here to help, of course, not to steal but some people still didn't like strangers just strolling into their house. Not even during a round of gunfire right outside.

"Come on, sweetie, we're gonna be okay," I cooed to the small boy, running my fingers through his hair briefly as I guided him into the house.

It was quiet inside. No one even looked to be home - most likely they were fighting outside with the others. Either way, this was the safest place for us to be. I readjusted the pirate hat on my head as I gazed down at the pictures on table in the hallway. Picking one up, I ran a finger across the smiling faces. There was an African-American woman in it with a Caucasian man and little boy.

They all looked so happy together. I smiled in spite of myself before returning it to the table. Hopefully, that family was still alive somewhere. And still together. Suddenly, I heard something crash in the living room and the cocking of a gun.

"Henry?!" I shouted, panicking as I raced into the room.

My eyes assessed the damage immediately - apparently, Henry had knocked over a porcelain vase and it had shattered onto the carpet in jagged fragments while the gun belonged to a tall, teenage boy wearing a Sheriff's hat. The rim of the hat covered his eyes so I couldn't see his face but he had shaggy brown hair that brushed his shoulder-blades. And as he slowly lifted up his head, I was taken aback by how attractive he was. Pushing the thoughts from my head, I cleared my throat.

"I'm sorry about the vase. We just...we just needed somewhere to stay," I explained lamely, meeting the one clear blue eye that was not covered by a bandage.

He glanced down at Henry who was hiding behind my legs now, like little children did in situations like this. The emotionless, brooding facade he wore slipped at Henry's innocence and slowly, he lowered the gun he'd had aimed at us.

"Are you with the Saviors or the Kingdom?" he asked gruffly.

His voice deeper than I'd imagined it to be. Attractive, though.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I replied with a simple, "Kingdom,"

He arched an eyebrow inquisitively, tilting his head to the side as he set his gun down on the coffee-table. I could still hear gunfire outside so I knew there wasn't a way we could leave just yet. Slowly, he walked over to us and I gripped Henry's hand tighter. The boy squatted down in front of Henry then.

"Hi! My name's Carl. What's yours?" he asked him softly, a kinder tone to his voice.

"Henry..." he mumbled quietly, unsure.

"Well, Henry...it's not safe for you and..." he trailed off, glancing up at me questioningly.

"...Keziah," I supplied, still holding onto Henry's hand tightly even though Carl seemed harmless enough.

"It's not safe for you and Keziah out there. So you two have to stay in here with me, okay? So I can protect you," he smiled at the little boy.

Henry beamed a smile back but I quickly interrupted their conversation, "Excuse me, but I can take care of myself,"

Carl shot me a cocky smile as he stood up, towering over me now. I could feel his warm breath tickle my skin as he leaned in close to my ear then.

"I believe you can...Princess Keziah." he said lowly, his lips brushing my earlobe.

I let out a shaky breath as I pulled back from him, confusion registering on my face.

Carl laughed and shrugged at me, "What can I say? You resemble your dad a lot,"

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest at the statement. But his next words caused a blush to form on my cheeks that even when I saw my dad later that day, I couldn't quite explain.

"Or maybe you're just as pretty as a princess."