I'll Have a Blue Christmas

Note: Because I'm too old-school for my own good lol :P Also MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE! ^_^

"I'll have a Blue Christmas without you, I'll be so blue just thinking about you..." Elvis Presley's voice sang out from the CD player as Carol and I decorated the tree.

Maggie had found it for us and brought it over. This Christmas was going to be hard for all of us, I knew. It was our first Christmas without Glenn. I'd known him since the farm. He'd treated me just like a little sister.

"Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree, won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me..." the song continued and I couldn't help but feel the tears fill my eyes.

"Are you alright?" Maggie's concerned voice came from beside me then, her hand resting on my shoulder..

My throat closed up with emotion and I couldn't find the words to speak. Instead, I gave her a slight nod. Slowly, she brought me into a hug and I let out a slight sob as she rubbed my back comfortingly.

"He wouldn't want us to be sad, sweetheart," she told me softly, her own voice thick with emotion.

I knew she was right. Of course she was right. But memories of Christmases past came to me anyway, unbidden.

~ Flashback ~

"That is not the way you hang ornaments,L" Glenn teased as she snatched the glittery, red ball from my hand to hang on a higher branch.

I just blew a raspberry at him in annoyance and he laughed at my childish reaction. Glancing up at him, I watched as he hung another ornament. Him and Daryl had found the tree on a supply run - just a stroke of luck really. We'd all been so excited when they brought it back - strapped on top of the little green car. Carl had been so convinced they wouldn't find anything - even bet me on it. I almost laughed at the memory as Beth began to hum Carol of the Bells.

I now had three of Carl's comic books as payment.

"Hey, guys, look what I found in the storage closet!" Carl exclaimed, striding into the room, Sheriff's hat tilting off his head at an awkward angel as he balanced a large, cardboard box in his arms.

Carol and I walked over to him as he sat the box down on the metal slab that served as our dinner table. We crowded around while he began to take things out. It was mostly just old, dusty decorations the wardens had put up to spruce up the place for the holidays - nothing really of interest. But his blue eyes lit up when he pulled out an old star and I grinned.

"Let's put it up," Carl beamed over at me in excitement and I nodded, grinning.

"DARYL!" we chorused happily, calling for the older Southern hunter.

Within minutes, he arrived and - with a bit of coaxing from Carol - placed the star atop the tree for us. We all stepped back to admire our handiwork then, Carl beside me. My eyes met his then just as Beth started to sing Blue Christmas.

It surprised me, I admit. I didn't know his eyes were so blue - like an ocean you could swim in forever. Suddenly, the tinkle of bells overhead made us glance up, breaking our eye contact. My eyes traveled to the mistletoe above us and we both blushed scarlet as Glenn began to laugh, still holding the mistletoe high. Carl leaned in then and planted a quick peck on my lips. It was short but when we both pulled away, our faces were beet red.

"I knew you guys liked each other." Glenn winked at us, our blushes deepening.

"And when those blue snowflakes start fallin', that's when those blue memories start callin'..." Beth sang loudly.

~ End of Flashback ~

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white but I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas..." Elvis continued on, making my heart ache.

"We gotta keep livin," Maggie told me, pulling back.

I nodded back to her, mustering a smile just as Carl came in. Instantly, he walked over to me, his arms wrapping around my waist from behind.

"You okay?" he asked me softly.

I blew out a long sigh before nodding, finally letting the tears fall freely now, "I will be,"

Carl turned me around in his embrace then to face him and brushed the tears away with his thumbs.

"Look up," he told me softly.

I frowned slightly, obeying. When I did though, a smile lit up my face - albeit bittersweet. Hanging above us was the mistletoe.

"For Glenn?" he teased, grinning.

I chuckled in response, nodding as he leaned in.

"For Glenn." I agreed.

And as Blue Christmas played on, I connected my lips to Carl's.

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white but I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas..."