Too Over-Protective

Note: This one is dedicated to DannIsNotOnFire! Not sure if you're still on here or not but I hoped you like it! :)

~Flashback~

My lungs felt like they were on fire and legs ached as I ran. The horde of walkers behind me moaned and gnashed their teeth together, making my skin crawl at even the mere though to of them ripping into my flesh. I put on another burst of speed and shot through the maze of abandoned cars up ahead. Some of them lined the road while others were just left parked in the middle for me to maneuver around. But what caught my eye was the fact that they were parked in what looked to be a suburb with nice little houses. Albeit empty but still nice.

Nicer at least than what I was used to. Picking one at random, I shot up the front porch steps and quickly bolted the door behind me. Pressing my back against the wall, I briefly shut my eyes and let out an exhausted sigh. Just then, I felt the shock of cold metal against my forehead and heard a distinct click. My eyes flew open and I was met by icy-blue orbs staring back at me. It was a young boy - around my age, looked to be.

He wore dirty tattered clothes and a Sheriff's hat was perched atop his shaggy brown hair. He cocked his head to the side.

"Who are you?" he asked me gruffly.

His voice was calm but stern. I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat as I tried to inch away from the gun.

"Axyl Rowe." I replied simply.

~End of flashback~

Carl's hand squeezed mine under the table, jolting me from my thoughts. He shot me a small smile and I returned the gesture before picking absentmindedly at the hem of my light pink sweater that fell just slightly over the waist of my light blue jeans.

"First, we need to diffuse the bombs. If those things go off, we could have a big problem..." Rick told us as he went over the plans to attack Negan and the Sanctuary.

I said nothing as they talked, thoughts and ideas swirling in my mind. Usually, the others just talked these things over. But this time was different, Carl and I were older now and Rick let us be involved in the discussion. It was a step-up for the both of us. But I didn't just want to hear what they had to say - I wanted to be apart of this too. Not just to talk it over but to do something to help.

I didn't just want to be a bystander anymore. Besides...I had an idea that just might work...

"What if we lead the walkers to them?" I piped up suddenly, interrupting Rick.

The table fell silent and everyone turned to me. Rick's blue-eyed gaze snapped to mine before he spoke.

"But how? If they hear the horde coming-" he started but I cut him off again.

"They won't! We can cause a distraction so that by the time we lure the walkers to the Sanctuary, they won't have time to retaliate that much. And besides, that would at least take care of a good majority of them. They have firepower, sure, but how could they all survive a sneak attack like that?" I told them, proud of my plan.

It was quiet for a moment and then slowly, Rick began to nod.

"That sounds...like a good plan. Now who can help Axyl start rounding them up when-" Rick started again but this time Carl interrupted.

"No, that's a terrible plan!" Carl said seriously.

"What are you talking about? I think it's not that bad! I mean, if we can get the walkers to the-" I started to say.

"No, Axyl! It's too dangerous! You're not doing it!" he shot back, his voice turning slightly venomous as I argued with him.

I stood up from the table abruptly then.

"YES, I AM! IF I SAY I'M GOING TO THEN I AM! YOU CAN'T STOP ME, CARL!" I shouted at him, pushing a strand of bleach blonde hair from my face.

He flew out of his seat as well and it fell to the floor with a clatter.

"I CAN AND I WILL! YOU'RE NOT GOING! END OF DISCUSSION!" he spat back loudly.

I let out a scream of frustration before stomping off out of the house, slamming the door behind me. How could he be so unfair?! I was old enough to decide for myself on these things! I wasn't a child anymore! With anger boiling in my blood, I took off down the road until I reached the wall that surrounded town. I didn't even think as I began to scale it, my faded brown combat boots pressing into the niches that created footholds to support me.

I cursed under my breath as a nail snagged onto my black leather jacket. But within just a few minutes, I was up and over the wall. My boots created a loud thud as I landed on the soft ground. I picked myself up and immediately headed to what I'd always referred to as Carl and I's "special spot". We'd found the tree months ago and we were the only two who knew about it. There weren't too many walkers around to bother us and it was a nice little retreat away from the hustle and bustle of Alexandria.

It gave me a sense of peace in this sanity that was our world now. Falling back into the crunchy dead leaves, a sigh emitted from my mouth. I stayed like that until dark, just letting my anger fade away. I loved Carl but sometimes, he could be so overprotective, it was infuriating. I guess it was because he loved me but still...sometimes it just made me feel like he thought I wasn't capable of taking care of myself. And I was.

Well...it was getting late, I guess I should go back.... Maybe I'd been a bit unfair to Carl. After all, he WAS just doing it because he wanted me safe.... I couldn't blame him for something like that. Groaning slightly, I stood up and headed back towards the wall. Trees loomed up around me in the darkness and I pulled my leather jacket tighter around me.

It was my armor after all, just like Emma Swan's. Sounds of birds cawing and leaves rustling made shivers go up and down my spine. A cool breeze blew through the trees and I began to walk faster. I really needed to be back by now - way before now actually. I'd stayed out way too late. My heart raced in my chest as I walked faster.

Suddenly, something grabbed onto my shoulders and I let out a shriek. But a hand clamped over my mouth to silence me and I struggled to get out of my attacker's grip.

"Axyl, hush! Do you wanna attract walkers to us?!" a voice hissed in my ear and I immediately recognized it.

I quit struggling and let out a sigh as the hand released my mouth.

"Carl..." I breathed out as I turned around to face him in the inky black darkness.

Before I could say anything else, I felt his lips on mine. I melted into it, instantly kissing him back. His hands had found my waist, pulling me into his chest as he deepened the kiss. It lasted for what felt like an eternity before we both broke away. He pressed his forehead against mine and I gazed up into his beautiful blue eyes.

"I'm sorry... It was unfair of me to try to hold you back like that. It's not...it's not that I don't think you can do it...I just...I just wanna keep you safe, Axyl..." he whispered softly, trailing off.

I cupped his cheek and smiled at him, my thumb caressing his skin gently.

"I know, Carl...And I'm sorry too...I should have realized that you were just trying to protect me..." I admitted in the darkness as his arms held me tightly.

He shook his head and smiled down at me.

"It doesn't matter now... Because I trust you with this... but I am coming with you," he said, winking.

I laughed quietly, biting my lip before glancing up at him beneath my eyelashes.

"Fine, Grimes, fine." I joked before crashing my lips into his once more.