Chapter One: The Beginning

Chapter One:

"Jenni...Jenni Waters? Would you like to present your speech?" Mrs. Winkler, my history teacher, had said.

I nodded my head and slowly got up out of my desk. I took in a deep sigh and stood up in the front of the classroom. It's just one little speech. It just counts for one-third of your grade. No big deal. I thought to myself. I tried to mutter words, but my fear got the best of me. I wasn't much of a talker at school, I just stayed low-key. I mean I was a sophomore, so I only had two more years till I graduate. So till then I didn't need to speak or impress anyone.

I tried to start my speech again, "Today I will be talking to you about the topic of World War II. In today's society, we don't think much about the past, but yet on -" I was interuppted mid-sentence by the bell. But I didn't mind because that bell meant that school was out. Plus, it was Friday so I had two more days to lay around on my computer and stay on the internet all day.

I quickly went to my desk and grabbed my books. I sprinted out the classroom because I didn't want to talk to anyone, but it's not like anyone would want to talk to me anyway. I went to my locker and stuffed my books into my backpack. I shut my locker and quickly pulled out my phone. But then, beside me was my best friend Clare. Clare was my best friend since we were six years old, and this year her locker was right next to mine.

"Hey Jenni, do you want to do something after school today?" Clare asked me with a happy smile on her face.

I thought about it, then I replied, "I would, but my mom is sick today and I have to take care of her. But I'll text you later and maybe we could plan something tomorrow...But for now, I got to go. Text you later!" I then walked away, not waiting for her response, and began walking out to my mom's car.

My thoughts were racing, Why did I just lie? Mom is not sick. Why did I make that up? Was it to have an excuse not to hang out with Clare? Why am I so relentless to hang out with her? Actually, it wasn't just her. I hadn't hung out with my close friends in a couple months. But why has this happened? Oh, I know. Matthew Espinosa happened.

--

Thanks for reading my first chapter. Sorry if it's a bit too short. I hope you liked it :) Please leave your opinions in the comments below. If you have any suggestions. I'd love to hear them. Thanks :)