Chapter Fifteen: Crumbling Under Expectations

I woke up to the sunlight beaming through my white window blinds. I rubbed my eyes and sat upward. It was Tuesday. I had school. Ugh. I have to get up and get ready.

I climbed out of bed and put on my regular and boring uniform. Khaki skirt. Blue button-up top. Tall plaid socks. Red vans. Hair in a ponytail. Glasses. Just another day.

I grabbed my backpack and finally found my phone on the ground under my bed and it was only 16%. I then walked down the stairs and I was completely out of it. I saw Brandon at the bottom of the stairs, and he was swinging his keys around his finger.

Brandon said, "C'mon Jenni." He said as he shoved my shoulder as he started walking out to the car.

I threw my backpack in the back and sat in the passenger seat. I slammed the door, and we left for school. I looked at the clock that read 7:50am. School starts in 10 minutes. We're going to be late for sure. It's my fault.

"J, why are you so out of it?" Brandon said. "I've been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes. Did you stay up all night talking to your booyyyyfrrrieeenddd?"

I scoffed, "I don't have a boyfr-" I stopped mid-sentence. Holy crap. Boyfriend? MATTHEW! How could I completely forget that I had the chance to talk to him yesterday! How could I forget? It truly still feels surreal. Oh my gosh, I never got to reply to him. He probably thinks I hate him now. Gosh and my phone is about to die.

I just stopped talking and the rest of the car ride was pure silence. We pulled up at school and I got out. I had three minutes till school started. So I ran. Of course my locker was upstairs. My backpack slinged over my shoulder. I went to my locker and I threw my stuff in. I grabbed my books for my first class. I then ran to my class, and right when I stepped into the classroom, the bell rang. Ha. I wasn't late. I beat the system.

The rest of my school day was basically me sleeping in class, zoning out all day, and asking everyone I knew for an iPhone 4S charger.

After the last class was over, I slowly walked out of my classroom and I was headed to my locker. Along the way, I was stopped by Nick.

"Oh my gosh, you seemed so out of it today." Nick said as he stood in between me and my locker.

I rubbed my eyes because I was so exhausted, "Yeah...it's been a long day. I just want to go home and talk to M-" I stopped myself. Wait, Nick doesn't know that I'm dming with Matthew. And I'd rather not have him know because if he did know then sooner or later, everyone will find out. I don't need to attract any attention to myself.

"M-m-my mom." I grinned. Nice save.

Nick confusingly looked at me. "Uhm sure. I guess your mom is pretty cool to talk to...Well I was just wondering if you wanted to go to my house right now? Katherine and Clare already agreed. Now we just need you."

Hangout? Ugh. I mean I love my friends. But I really am not in the mood to socialize with people. I just want to go home. I'm just having one of those days.

"Nah. I think I'm going to pass on this one. Maybe some other time Nick." I smiled as I stepped out of his way and walked two inches to my locker. And I watched as Nick walked away.

I put my books for homework into my backpack and I slung my backpack over my shoulder. I then tried to find Brandon and he took me home. The car ride was a bit boring and there was less talking. Most of the time I was just staring out the window.

I walked through my door and I was bombarded by my mom crowding me and grabbing my arm and taking me to the living room. My mom sat me down on the couch as she sat across from me.