Chapter Ten: Matthew Espinosa Came to My Aid

"Jenni....are you okay?" I heard a voice as I opened up my eyes. The blinding light shined through my glasses that had somehow ended up back on my face. I still couldn't recognize who the voice belonged to.

I finally sat up, but my head still hurt. "Yeah, I'm ok-" I stopped mid-sentence when I saw who had spoken to me. It was Matthew Espinosa. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Okay Jenni, say something to him. Say something. Say anything. C'mon, stop thinking....SPEAK.

"Are you...What? I'm so confused." I said as scratching my head for I was confused.

I saw Matthew move towards me and sit onto the bed where I was laying. Then I heard him speak, "Yeah. It's me." Matthew chuckled. "That was a nasty fall you had there. You really need to rest. You've had a long day."

"B-b-but Matthew. How are you here?" I wondered. I had tons of questions on my mind, but that was the one that I was wondering the most.

Matthew chuckled and pulled me in for a hug. He then pulled away and looked at me with his amazing smile that could make me melt at any second. "I'm here for you, Jenni."

Jenni. Jenni. Jenni. Jenni. My name began to ring in my ears. It became loud and overwhelming. It became disruptive and I clamped my ears with my hands. I closed my eyes. Everything around me began to collapse and then I sat up again and gasped.

"Jenni, are you okay?" I heard Nick's voice. He was right beside the cot that I laid on that looked like the school nurse's office.

"Ow. Nick. My head hurts. What happened?" I said as I rubbed my head and began thinking. Wait. What happened to Matthew? He was literally just here with me. I felt his hug. It was real.

Nick sighed and looked at me. "Long story short. Ellen tripped you. You collapsed. And now you're here in the nurse's office. You were out for about an hour. Clare had to go to Chemistry and Katherine went to go get you some water. I've been waiting for you to wake up. English class can wait."

My head still hurt. Everything made sense, but I still had one question. "Wait...so, Matthew Espinosa wasn't just here?"

Now Nick looked confused, but then he chuckled. "Jenni...I think you need to go back to sleep."

So it was all a dream! Of course that'd happen to me...

Katherine then walked into the room with a plastic cup of water. "Look who's up. How you feeling Jen?" She said as she handed me the cup of water. Katherine hasn't called me Jen in like three months. It made me feel pretty special.

I grabbed the cup of water and drank a sip. "I've been better. My head still hurts like heck. Of course this would happen to me." I sighed and then began to drink more water.

Katherine came and sat on the cot that I was on. "Jenni stop, none of this was your fault. You can't blame yourself. Ellen was just being Ellen. You know how she is. You were just her next victim."

"Like I always am..." I said sadly. It was true. Ellen still picked on me no matter what. It's like she hated me or something. "Can I please just go home?" I sighed because I just wanted to go home. Not stay here.

Nick stood up. "I talked to the nurse and she said that us three could go. I think she felt bad for you. So I can take us back to my house and we could just stay there till you get better."

I nodded and Katherine agreed. I stayed in the nurse's office while Katherine and Nick headed upstairs to grab their stuffs and grabbed my stuff from my locker.

About five minutes later, they came down and we signed out of school in the Attendance Office. We then headed to Nick's truck. Katherine offered me the passenger seat as she sat in the back. We sat there and spoke a little in the car until we were at Nick's house. I saw my house as we passed it, but then remembered that my parents still weren't home. So I would just much rather stay at Nick's house with him and Katherine.