Engineer X Cyborg!Reader

Dedicated to Pikminfan, who wanted some friendship fanfic. So, no romance. XD Enjoy! :*

You have been Engie's bestfriend eversince you came to be a private mercenary here at the Mann Co.'s. All the battles won and lost, all the fun in the quiet evenings and ceasefires: You shared all that with the Texan. Now that you think about it, there was never a time when Engineer, or Dell as he'd insist you call him, hasn't been there in your happiest, proudest moments. He always has a shoulder for you to cry on, and you for him. But right then, not even a million shoulders could stop the pain that wracked your being: physically, emotionally, and psychologically.

Blinding light registered itself to you as you were being hauled on a stretcher by both Medic and Heavy, carrying your beaten form towards the infirmary. Nothing could rip the Engineer's eyes from that one limp bloody arm dangling off the side of the carrier. His face has never shown true terror before, and he greatly feared for your life. To make matters worse, all Dell could do at the moment was everything- except being with you.

So how did this all happened? How did the mercs found you alone, bloody, and dying? With your teeth broken and several lethal concussions in the legs, arms, and head? Well, to put it simply, the administrator has had her eye on you for sometime now, and apparently it had a lot to do with your declining performance on the battlefield; so you suddenly found yourself separated from the rest of the group with a bunch of suited people who instantly took you down at the sight of your (h/c) hair. You would've been a dead man if Engineer hadn't come and wiped most of them out with his trusted level 3 sentry. But even if they got you, breathing and wheezing painfully, there's still no guarantee that you'll survive...for all Medic knows, some parts of you may even cease to function! But Dell will take anything at all  just to hear your voice again, or see you smile his way as your eyes twinkle in wonder- anything as long as you were alive!
Even if you aren't entirely the same (Y/N) he knew...he's ready to take it.

***

"Darlin'..."

You forced your eyes open as a small grunt found its way out of your lips. You saw a hazy figure above you that you know all too well.

"...it's me Dell..."

You smiled weakly, sighing out as he placed a warm hand on your shoulder. "Hey," you replied groggily.

"I'm glad t'see ya finally awake partner," Dell said softly like he always does. "Ah know ya want to move around but you still need them rest, yeah?"

You nodded, not bothering to argue with him. You knew he was right...he always has been.

"Dell," you croaked, your neck feeling rather strained, "why does it feel so cold? My body...it's so heavy."

"Now, I know you want answers- but ya have to promise me you'll keep it together; have an open mind," the man replied hoarsely, his voice losing that usual silkiness. "Whatever happens, it'll be alright."

You nodded, confused and scared, hoping that your best friend was somewhat exaggerating- that he was just messing with your throbbing, bandaged head!
But as soon as your eyes landed on the mirror above the room's dresser, you couldn't even scream in shock- you just felt numb, unfeeling...really, really cold. Dell anxiously watched as you inspected your now metal arm as well as your steel legs and feet. With your good hand, you touched the metallic half of your upper face before recoiling in disbelief.

I'm...I'm part metal!

"Now, now, (Y/N)-"

You didn't even bother listening; you shut off every sound as darkness swirled and engulfed your vision before you slumped back down, once more covered in the peaceful haze of sleep.

***

A few days later, you began to hike up a short hill in Teufort where you liked to hide from the others or simply to reflect on your life decisions. Today though, you'll be visiting it to watch one last sunset...and say goodbye.
Yes, you won't be seeing this place for a long time after today: As soon as you've accepted your new body, Engineer informed you that the Administrator was behind the attack and that you weren't safe here anymore.Sniper will whisk you out to a new city where a guy there will supposedly give you protection. In all honesty, you didn't want to worry about that right now; the future has its own sets of problems and you'd rather breathe in the fresh air and bask in the few remaining hours of sunlight that added an ethereal glow to your metallic limbs. Yes, being a cyborg has its perks- and you've grown on them.

Just as you closed your eyes, a rustling of bushes startled you and caused you to turn around. Your heart rate went back to normal once you registered that it was only Dell. As if nothing happened, the Texan sat beside you, casually gave you a bottle of beer, and took in heavy gulps as if it was an ordinary day.

"Y'know- I'll be missin' them goofy smile of yours,"

I'll miss your gloved touch...

"-also that hair"

I'll miss seeing your goggles in the morning...

"- and in d'short time I spent, I'll miss them steel limbs as well."

I'll miss all of you Dell.

"Yeah," you replied, "I'll miss you too partner."

You could feel the intensity of his stare through his goggles as he placed a soft hand on your robotic shoulder. "Be careful out there, alright?"

"Well," you snorted a laugh, "maybe you could've installed some rocket launchers on my arm- I'll be really badass by then."

Engineer couldn't hold back his own chuckles and pulled you closer as the sun completely disappeared behind the horizon.

"Engie...thanks for not being, you know, a jerk," you said teasingly. "I've always dreaded that I'll be an entirely different person with this new body, but you proved me wrong Dell- you treated me just the same."

"Ah know you'll do the same for me."

"You know I will," you confirmed just as Sniper's headlights came into view.
Dell pulled you up from the ground and you two hiked downhill to meet the waiting Australian.

"Hey (Y/N)?"

You turned to him. "Yeah?"

The man was silent for a moment before cracking a sad smile. "Keep bein' badass."

"And you," you say; referring to Dell, "stay being that cool bastard on the field, kay?"

Engineer raised a gloved hand, doing a thumbs up all the while you got into the van.

"Alright Snipes," you exclaimed, bucking a seatbelt on.

"Let's get this show on the road."

Well, it ended out sadder than the original plot. Anyhow, thanks for all the reads and votes- they really make my day loves! :*

~