Chapter three: The first sign of madness

I pushed my chair back and stood behind it as if it would protect me from Kyle.

“H-how did you do that.” I hated the way my voice shook; I couldn’t show them I was scared.

 “The same way you set the garden alight.” Aiden smirked

 "I didn’t…I couldn’t…YOU’RE CRAZY!” I shouted and backed up towards the kitchen door

 “What did Stella tell you about your past?” Archie said as he stood up slowly “Did she tell you anything about your parents?”

 I shook my head “She-she just told me my mother died during childbirth and my father died when I was two.”

Archie’s eyes went wide and he looked over to Kyle “I don’t think she knows.”

 “How is that possible? She must have noticed something.” Aiden argued

 “What don’t I know?” I spoke softly but everyone heard me.

 “Arabella,” Kyle said and put his hands up as if he were surrendering “I’m sorry I scared you. I had no idea how naïve you were to this situation.”

“I’m not naïve.” I said defensively

 He shook his head “Sorry, that was the wrong word to use…You just don’t know anything about your past; how important you are.”

 “What are you talking about?” I asked him and took another step back

 “Listen, we can explain everything.” He reached out to grab my arm

 “DON’T TOUCH ME!” I scream and stumbled back a few steps

 “Arabella calm down. No one’s going to hurt you.” Archie walked over to stand next to Kyle.

 “Just let me go home.” I begged “I haven’t done anything. I won’t tell anyone about your…your powers, I swear!”

 “Arabella, why don’t you go upstairs and calm down. I know it’s a lot to take in, especially because we haven’t explained anything properly. You must be really tired; you’ve had a busy day.” Archie smiled warmly “Kyle will show you to your room.”

 I looked at him with wide eyes and nodded. I was never speechless- I was always babbling on about something (most of the time unimportant and inappropriate things, but anything was better than nothing.)

 I walked through the corridors that I had already been through three times that day, but this time I noticed the little things I had missed before. Like the photos on the wall of fire in black and white, which, probably  could be passed as a photograph that was sold in its millions from a chain of shops, but I knew there was something different about these pictures. They had significance to the boys.

 “Arabella, I think I should-” Kyle started

 “I think you should shut up.” I hissed “I think you and your creepy powers should leave me and my family alone.”

 “I know you’re upset-”

 “UPSET?”  I shouted once we had reached the top of the stares “You set a flower on fire WITH YOUR MIND and the best word you can use to describe my emotions is UPSET?”

 He ran a hand over his face “I’m sorry okay, but there are a lot of things you don’t know yet, things that will be explained to you soon and everything will make sense!”

 "Just let me speak to Taylor.” I said in monotone

 “You’re both being punished for trying to run away so no, you can’t see each other.”  He crossed his arms over his chest