Part 6

*A.N.: Late and kinda short, have an unpleasant deadline at work with a program I don't particularly like and was busy the whole day. Anyway, enjoy:

About a month and a half after Jena left for the West to find evidence about the warhogs and just a few days before celebrating 5 years since the absorption of the Oasis Pack into Multi-Unity, preparations for a grand celebration are fervent.

It was also the first time for the large majority of the wolves involved to have a female as an Alpha, a fact to which most of them adapted, partially motivated by the continuous access to clean water, so sought after almost everywhere else and by the fact that her rule was established through combat and not just a handover of the reigns.

A strong, confident wolf is running the perimeter of the territory, making sure patrols and sentries are where they should be.

A sudden stab to the heart sends the wolf tumbling down the edge of the large rock formation it was running on.

A leg is dislocated, and several bruises will probably make themselves known the following day because of the minor rock slide its undignified acrobatics provoked.

The wolf is not happy. Its human side is hazy in the back of its mind, as if unable to wake up; and it is obvious why.

The stab to the heart is not physical.

"Find...

thw...

the witch...

Ss-a..."

"Sandra?" The wolf asks back.

"Yes. Find...

Her,"

"As the human falls back, completely engulfed into the darkness of their mind, the wolf rams his body into a nearby boulder, resetting his leg and once more regaining full functionality.

The way is familiar. They've been there before and the pain is a good motivation for running. Fast. As fast as they can; they need to reach the witch's hut.

~~~

Much farther in the West.

"Alpha Jena, the Chieftain is ready and requests your presence."

"Thank you, Jamil. Would you mind walking with me?"

"Not at all my lady. I would follow you anywhere. After what you did..."

"It's nothing. Anyone would..."

"Anyone would have run away if they had half a mind working right on them. And I wouldn't blame them. All our encounters with the warhogs so far were disastrous. They had us beat every time and with every attempt to stop them more of us were killed. And yet you saved me, my son, my brother and my sister's mate in that fight you intervened in."

"It was the right thing to do."

"Yeah, but you've never met us before."

"Yet I've had dealings with the warhogs. Not a pleasant enemy to have, but they don't leave us much choice, do they?"

"What irks me the most is we can't even reason with them, yet they seem organized. We've noticed every group has at least one leader."

"Have you seen any wolves with them?"

"Collaborators?"

"Yeah... you could call them that."

"No. Why would anyone do that, since they are unreasonable? You wouldn't even be able to get close enough."

"You'd be surprised."

"What's that?"

"I'll... explain later."

"Ok. Anyway step right through here and the Chieftain is inside."

"Join us."

"I couldn't possibly..."

"I insist!"

"You heard the lady, Jamil. She insists. Join us!"

"Yes, Chieftain!"

~~~

Somewhere far, faaar away.

"Morning, honey!"

"Hey! How did you sleep?"

"Great. I had the wildest dream!"

"Really? That's nice! What was it about?"

"Well, there was this girl, and a wolf. Her wolf, I think. Not sure."

"Yeah, and?"

"Aaand... I don't know, I forgot the rest."

"Can't be that important though then, right?"

"Yeah, I guess. But it was so vivid."

*A.N.: Remember to vote, please! It really makes my day!