Part 74

*A.N.: I know you guys didn't actually reach 7 comments of "Give Next", but 6 and the attempted trick to make think a 7th was given really impressed me and I appreciate it - hence the bonus update today :D

I'm imagining your reaction after the last update is something like: "Hmm? What? How? But I thought... What's going on?"

Some of you were expecting it, some of you were not. Some subtle hints were given - no matter. All will be explained, but if you've come to know me, you know I'm not a fan of descriptive or explanatory walls of text.

Fear not, all will be explained! Only it will be the characters in one of their casual conversations about life, the universe, and everything. And not right away, because we need to find Uma and the child first :D

~~~

I've been following Al'Aeen for three days and he's been on the scent for two and a half.

Never thought I'd meet a non-Alpha with the stamina to run for so long.

And for someone in his animal form for the first time, he's fast.

Clearly faster than most wolves.

I dare say even faster than a Beta.

No chance to compare with a werecat of the cheetah subtype though.

Or an actual Alpha. But still, for someone who has only been training in his human form, it's something.

And what the heck is that animal anyway? It's huge! It swatted Ron's wolf form away like it was nothing!

Those long legs must really help him run with as little energy as possible, but I'd hate to see him try to swerve or stop abruptly, since he may actually fall over. Kind of fits him though: Big, fast and clumsy.

Hmm, so slow to accelerate, probably slow to decelerate and hard to maneuver at high speeds.

I'm curious as to how he would fare in a fight when the target isn't just sitting there like that silly Ron did.

I also wonder if he knows how many of those warhogs he is about to face. Actually, I doubt he knows what a warhog is at the moment.

His temper will be his downfall.

He didn't even stop to ask what he would or could be facing.

How do you help someone so focused, so tunneled their vision on their singular purpose, that he won't even notice my obvious following him?

Not like I would fight warhogs mind you. I mean one? Maybe. But more?

How can I take care of all the things I should with these kinds of odds against me?

What can I use to handle this?

"FAITH!"

"Balance? My Lady, is this your work?"

"His energy is still tipped and unstable, but it seems we are running out of time. He has been nudged. You need to make him understand."

"How? I've been trying but..."

"Self-doubt doesn't become you. Your approach must be the right one because you have been chosen for the task. The one that needs your faith the most is yourself."

"I'll just have to be myself and keep doing the same thing then."

"Everyone is unique and perfectly fitted to play one's role in one's life. There will never be anyone better at being you than yourself."

"That is both as ambiguous and as deep as I've come to expect from My Lady."

"Your kind still does not possess sufficient terms to express even the simplest of notions, like the value of one."

"I thank Thee for the encouragement!"

Somehow I don't think my gratitude was relevant to the Her. Why are the Celestials so interested in Al'Aeen though?

Hmm, seems like we are about to catch up to our targets. What will you do now, youngling?

~~~

Feeling his query near, Al'Aeen steels himself for whatever lies ahead. His steps are not made with care which means they are actually more like stomps - easily heard.

"What is this? Can you hear that rumble?" The Leader asks his 4 companions using their specific grunts and snorts.

"Is it an attack?"

"This loud? Not even the wolves are this bold."

"The wondering ones have attacked us before."

"Yes, but the wondering wolves are cowards. They would never dare to attack us head on."

"What if they outnumber us greatly?"

"How many wolves would make you fear for your life then?"

"No number is great enough! However many foes, they will at most, speed my honorable death, helping me join the honorable army of the Master in the Promised lands! Not before I take a lot of them with me though!"

"I see you've come to your senses. I was starting to worry about my choices for my team."

The other warhog grins at him.

"Are the prisoners secure?"

"The woman is tied up and it's not like the babe will go anywhere without her."

"Good! Get ready! I wish we had a Raised with us. Wait! What if whatever is coming is a messenger from the Master? That would explain the boldness of running straight to us."

"Well, then you won't have to worry about it, since the Master always thinks of everything."