Part 99

"ANSWER ME!" Jena yells, shaking him vigorously, and adding more of the Alpha presence into the mix.

"Co....oouu... uuuld... y...yoo... ou stop that? Thank you! It's hard to answer when my tongue can't even reach my teeth, you know?" Umani asks to no one in particular.

"Jena, if you kill him, he can't answer. And you, Umani, how about you answer her before she does it again? Or worse..." Conall adds, still looking bored.

"Well, Al'Aeen is with me."

Jena quickly puts the coyote down, yet without letting go, and looks around for her mate.

"I mean not with me - with me, as in right here – right now, but here in the east. He came with me."

"Where is he at this moment?" Jena asks, losing her patience.

"Probably hunting."

"Hunting what?"

"Warhogs."

"That's ridiculous! One does not simply hunt warhogs," Conall says and continues: "the warhogs go in groups, usually 5 at least. Jena, as an Alpha of a large pack, can handle 3 be herself, 4 if she's lucky."

"Conall! That's strategic information!" Jena barks at him.

"It's ok girl! Think of Umani as a Half-Me and give him the appropriate trust and respect," Conall tells her.

"Hey! I can hear you, you know!" Umani complains.

"Hmm, ok. I will trust him. But respect is earned. And he still hasn't answered me properly."

"Anyway Blackie, is her mate an Alpha or what? How could he tackle a group of warhogs? It's not possible to do alone..."

"Right Connie, but he isn't alone, he is part of a team of seven. And he's definitely no Alpha. He's not as green as he used to be, but nowhere near experienced enough to be an Alpha. He doesn't even want to lead the damn team for Calla's sake! He'd be able to handle 5 warhogs alone though. Easily actually and he's already done it twice."

"Call me Connie one more time and I'll have my niece carry you around the entire camp like a flag. Let's see what happens to the Black Coyote reputation then!"

"Hey, you started it with Blackie. You know I hate that nickname."

"I have a feeling this is an old argument and I'm interrupting two little brothers harassing each other. Both of you cut the crap and you, Mr. Umani, stop talking bullshit and tell me about Al'Aeen honestly, because what you're saying makes no sense so far," Jena chastises both of them.

Looking a bit sheepish, Umani answers:

"Well, I'm not lying about him. Al'Aeen I mean. Back with Shifting Sands, there was a combat test and multiple wolves were attacking him in wolf form..."

"Are you insane!!!? What kind of stupid... No, what insanely advanced level of stupid are you to have my mate, who is not even from... I mean he is not even were, no I mean he can't even shift, to have him attacked by weres in wolf form?"

"That's interesting? You know he is not from Calla as well? If you know so much, how come he hasn't mentioned you even once?"

The question hits Jena's heart like a dagger... repeatedly, as it echoes in her mind.

He still doesn't know of me! Damn it!

Worry takes over her doubts quickly though.

"So what happened to Al'Aeen, is he alright? Fcuking wandering savages with your uncivilized ways..."

"To each his own. As and Alpha with a Diplomat's training, you shouldn't be one to judge, Alpha Jena," Umani says.

"When it comes to mates, weres always act differently, common sense becoming secondary. Just answer the girl already, Blacki... I mean Black Coyote, is her mate alright, is he hurt?"

"He is... well, like I said, or wanted to say, there's been a development with Al'Aeen.
"

Once more raising him above ground, Jena warns him:

"I swear I'm going to slap you senseless!

IS...

MY...

MATE...

ALRIGHT?"