Part 61

*A.N.:  Difficult update today. I hope you guys don't find it boring. Remember to vote if you like it.

"I'm done. This is boring! I literally have nothing to hope for at the end of each day. How can you even live without any electricity? There is nothing fun to do! Only training, training and more training. And when that is done, I barely have the energy to do anything else."

"Ah, but you are getting better at it!"

"At what? Boring and repeatable exercises? Running for miles each day?"

"You get to spend time with E, and she seems happy about it."

"That's about the only thing keeping me sane. The knowledge I have to be here for her. Bad enough that my stupid actions have taken her away from her mother. I can't even fathom the emotional scaring she is going to have from growing up without a mother. Weren't you supposed to teach me how to become a useful member of this weird were society you guys operate here on Calla? All this strength training – what is it supposed to be for?"

"You realize the pack you carry on your back would have toppled you the first day we met, right? How long have you been running while caring it?"

"Today only? 8 hours. But you know damn well I have no choice! You are the one who got Uma to leave ahead of us with E. You let a woman and a child go ahead unattended and unprotected and that after constantly reminding me this entire region is at war. Right now I wonder if there is a point in asking you, again, if you are insane. Where are we going anyway?"

"Didn't you say you were bored? Seems to me private tutoring has done all it could for you. You need some social interaction and competition sounds like a good idea right about now. So we are going to visit a friend and stay with him for a while and get you some more training – this time for actual fighting."

"And you couldn't teach me that yourself back at the cave? That would count as more interesting than just weight and endurance training."

"Indeed. But I bet you won't just trust me when I say you are bad and you need to improve. Seeing others do a lot better than you are might just be the proper motivator."

"You think I don't know how un-adapted I am to live in your vicious medieval society? I used to spend 8-12 hours a day on a computer, bought my food and anything I wanted from the supermarket and online stores and there was virtually no danger for my family's life."

"I didn't get half of what you said here Al'Aeen, but if I understand this right you had a static, complacent and safe life with hardly any hardships."

"Life isn't that easy on Earth, you know? I don't think you quite get it..."

"Maybe not, but I hope you will. Compare it not with what you are going through right now, but a normal were: we hunt, we train, we protect, we love, we party. How about we agree that since you are here, you need to embrace our more physically oriented way of life, and accept the fact you will probably have to put your life on the line to protect what you love and that it may happen sooner, rather than later."

"And that scares the living daylights out of me."

"Finally, we're getting somewhere! Fear is the worst kind of motivator because it pushes you towards the easy way out – to make the fear stop as quickly as possible. But you do not have that option. You aren't alone. You aren't responsible just for yourself, but for E as well. The easy way out doesn't exist for you. I hope you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do. So what am I supposed to do?"

"The proper question is what are you really afraid of?"