Part 69

"Yeah. We used to be able to raid, trade or extort all the water we needed from the other packs; now we have to rely on a few water collecting points, which barely last us more than a month, and raiding the warhog's collaborators."

"Collaborators?"

"Yeah. Collaborators. Some packs have begun to simply surrender to the will of the warhogs. In return, they get to have water for their entire pack, and all they have to do is contribute two-thirds of their warriors to help their 'benevolent' masters. And one of the Alpha's family members."

"That is actually very smart. I heard something but I wasn't sure. How long has this been happening?"

"About 6 months. Apparently, their leader is amassing an army for something."

"So he buys them with water, pacifies them by taking their warriors and threatening the leader of the pack with the death of a family member. That is a rather ingenious use of the carrot and the stick."

"What?"

"A metaphor for reward and risk my pupil uses."

"You've taken an apprentice? You haven't had one since..."

"Since you? Yes, that is true."

"So what is so special about the big guy?"

"I was bored."

"Seriously? And you want me to believe that?"

"I'm sticking to my answer."

"Ok. So what's his story?"

"Far away from home, can't return. He comes from a family where water is never an issue."

"So a high-rank family, probably lost his pack and probably their territories as well to the warhogs."

"..."

"Where exactly is he from?" Pherick continues asking when he receives no answer.

"Further than anything you would know."

"Hmm, so the warhogs have such a long reach, do they... Honestly, sometimes I envy those that just surrender. It feels like they are an unstoppable enemy and my people are so tired of the constant moving and running. You still haven't told me what you want."

"A place to be for a while. And for you to train Al'Aeen."

"Why?"

"Because he needs it. And I don't feel like he takes me as serious as he should."

"Shouldn't he be trained already as the son of a high-ranking family?"

"He was aiming to be a writer before everything happened."

"An artist? And his father let him, especially with everything going on?" The Alpha asks and spits once more in disgust.

"Can't answer that. But he needs a reality check, and you fit the bill as a facts provider."

"No. I'm not taking refugees. I have no water to spare."

"That is fine. I'm willing to trade."

"With what?"

"150 liters of water, for starters."

"And where might that be?"

"He's carrying it. If you are doing a rational rationing, it would be about 100 days worth of water for an adult. I don't need any, sooo..."

"I see – the Alpha raises an eyebrow as he hears the number, considering the weight the big man had been hauling along – fine. He can dump it in the tanker carriage and can have up to 50 litters of water as his ration over the next thirty days, distributed however he likes. The pack will keep the rest for the trouble of having him."

"There's more."

"Of course there is! What now?"

"He has a child."

"Of course he does. Wait, what? Is he bringing in a mate too? Where are they? This changes things..."

"Not mate, bond partner. He said he was in love. Did not believe in mates. And he can't be with her anymore. That is in the past."

"He had some fun and sired a child, big deal."