Part 39

In a secret location in the opposing side of the forest relative to the guest camp of the black panthers, two men and a carried infant advance through the underbrush.

"We've been walking for hours! How much longer?"

"Didn't you just say your gravity thing is so low here you move with great ease?"

"Yeah, but not for hours! How long has it been, 5-6 hours?"

"Only 12 and a half."

"Only? ONLY? Back home I would have complained after 2 hours and you had me going for 12 and a half?"

"You actually, really, have 0 physical training?"

"Did some physical education about 8 years ago when I was in school. Does that count?"

"You think? Damn, I picked myself a tough challenge. You can stop now."

"Why? Didn't you say we have to find a river?"

"No, really, stop!"

"I see no..."

Al'Aeen steps into and subsequently falls in a vegetation hidden river no wider than 6 feet. He thrashes and struggles like crazy to hold E, his child, above water.

"Take her! Take her!"

Umani takes the child and sits on the edge.

"What are you doing? Help me!"

"Why?"

"Help me! I can't swim!"

"No, I mean why don't you stand up? It's not deep at all."

Finding footing, Al'Aeen finally stands up. The water barely reaching his waist level.

"Damn hidden pothole! Couldn't you have warned me sooner? What if I catch a cold or an infection?"

"I did warn you to stop. Twice. What's an infection? Or a cold?"

"A disease! Like when you are sick and can't perform properly. Or you are bed ridden."

"Why would you be bed ridden? Did you break a bone in the leg? Cause there is no poison in this water to make you sick otherwise."

"You talk like there is no disease in this world."

"You get sick by poisoning only or a combat injury like broken bones, otherwise no, no disease."

"Which means there is no medicine, which also means the first time I get sick I'm going to die!"

"What the hell is with all the whining? Nothing will happen to you, your animal side will heal you."

"I have no animal side, don't talk crazy!"

"No voice in your head guiding you?"

"I already told you, NO!"

"Odd. Anyways, I'm sure you will be fine. I'll have to fix the river cover before we go."

"River cover? Someone covered it on purpose?"

"Didn't we tell you how precious water is on Calla? The panthers build a net-like structure out of stick and place it from one side to the other of the river, then plant crawler and climber like plants that cover the wooden skeleton, hiding the water surface from unwanted gazes. Put the suit in the bag on. Direct skin contact is better."

"You want me to strip?"

"You want to prevent your bones from having problems? You'd better do it. Good."

"This thing is way too large, even for this body."

"Just get in the damn water already. Good. Make sure all of it gets wet. That's enough, you're done. You can get out now."

"What the hell is this? Why the fcuk is it so tight all of the sudden, and so hard to move?"

"Easy answer to that. It shrinks when it contact with cold water. Would you say it's harder to move than on your world?"

"Actually no. About the same."

"Means it's working as intended. But it's only a temporary solution."

"What do you mean temporary?"

"The only way to handle reduced pressure from the gravity is very intense training. Which we will start as soon as we get home."

"Home? We're going back?"

"No, my home. The grassy desert."

"How lovely... not. I think I preferred the black panthers' village."

"But that is not our home. Now shush and listen to your father. Grab your things and follow me."

"There really is no point in arguing over this, is there?"

"You remember our deal?"

"Yes."

"Then no, there is no point in doing that."