Part 105

"So Blackie, I've been meaning to ask: who is that tiny thing sitting belly up over there?"

"You mean Vi?"

"Yeah. I think she's my mate."

"DUDE, really?"

"Yeah."

"AWE-SOME! Conall's got a ma-aate, Conall's got a ma-aate! I've got so many stories to tell the kid about the big, bad, silent Conall."

"Don't you dare!"

"Of course I won't," he says before grinning widely.

"Umaniii! Get back here!"

"You can't catch me!"

~~~

Around a large campfire, wolves and a coyote sit, with Jena and Conall on one side and the team on the opposite one. Only Umani has chosen a position which is kind of in the middle.

Uma and E are a bit further, already sleeping under furs in a sleeping roll, despite the cold desert night.

As everyone is in their human forms, the night and the shadows cast by the fire make blushing hard to notice and facial expressions give less away, though Vi dreamily staring at the Master of Arms is rather obvious, and more than one person has noticed how he avoids her gaze, yet sneaks a look once in a while.

On the other hand, Al'Aeen is glaring daggers at Jena, who simply seems to be admiring the sand a lot.

"We marked him! I'm so happy!"

"And yet he didn't ask for it or accept it. What if he doesn't want this?"

"He has no choice. We marked him! He is ours!"

"And if he rejects us?"

"No! There is no way he would reject us, right?"

"You forget he doesn't know who we are."

"Consciously maybe, but he knows."

"Can't you feel how angry he is?"

"The bond is already working then. We did have some of his blood."

"He could still say no. He could still..."

"Until he says it, stop thinking about it."

"But this is not how I wanted this to go! Nobody should be force-marked!"

"So would anyone like to address this issue?" Umani asks.

Silence greets his question.

"Would saying something about not being allowed to sleep or eat until this is settled help?" The coyote asks again.

"She came in and attacked us without provocation!" Al'Aeen starts...

Though she still feels guilty for the marking bite, Jena can't stop to feel hurt by the fact that her mate is the one throwing the accusation at her.

"Technically you are on the Tri-Pack Alliance's land without announcing your presence to at least one of the three Alphas in charge. You are trespassing. In times of war she has the authority to execute you all," Conall says.

"I'd never do that!" Jena says appalled.

"You almost did it to Ron though. Sounds like empty words to me," Al'Aeen follows through.

"For someone who was here last, you do have a lot of opinions. Is that guilt I hear over your failure to protect your team properly?"

"Conall!" Jena admonishes him.

"Your boy can take it, Jena."

"I'm not anybody's boy, old man!"

"He needs some training though. Way too touchy and also a bit too disrespectful."

"How about we start from the beginning? When Alpha Jena arrived at the camp, what happened?" Umani asks.

"She came to our camp all high and mighty..." Meiarr begins.

"You are on my lands and I am an Alpha. I have the right to question your presence," Jena replies.

"You didn't question my presence, you asked about Al'Aeen. A member of MY team!"

"And your answer was irrelevant and disrespectful of an Alpha on whose territory your camp is set."

"Well, next time you should start with an introduction. How was I supposed to know you were an Alpha?"