Book 3 Part 1

*A.N.: I'm missing a cover at the moment, so going to keep posting here until I get one.

In Love Through War  

(this is currently the title, throw a comment if you have better ideas)

"So you're ok with that? I mean only that? Really? I was expecting a little more resistance."

"Is that so?" she asks with a raised eyebrow and continues, "You sound almost disappointed. Would it change your mind if I fought your decision?"

"You don't need to fight. If you don't want to, just say no. I mean we could go on fighting the warhogs our own separate way..."

"You got it backwards, Al'Aeen. I would fight it to get more, not less."

"More?"

"Of course."

"More of what... OH! The soulmate thingie."

"It is far more than a 'thingie' but you haven't answered me."

"N-no," he staggers. "Warmates is what I said and meant, I can't... I mean I don't see how... and plus..."

"It's ok, I get it. You can stop excusing yourself now."

"I think I should just start from the beginning and be clear about it."

"I'm listening."

"Even warmates is a big commitment. Because I see it as more than a simple alliance."

"Still waiting for the point you are trying to make."

"Well, Jena, you're making me nervous!"

But I think that's a good thing.

Reacting to her thoughts, Lana also adds:

"Did you really doubt our effect on him? He can deny it all he wants. There is no escape from the bond."

"Anyway, what I'm trying to say, I mean make sure is that you ok with becoming warmates with someone like me."

"How can you be more specific?"

"I'm an alien. I don't have an inner animal and I shift into an unnatural beast, the likes of which can't even be found on my planet anymore. Add to that I'm already married, and have a child which is my first priority."

"As long as you don't mind that I am a headstrong, independent female Alpha, with a priority to protect my pack, and a virgin."

"...why would you add virgin to all of that? How is that relevant?"

"I don't see why. It's probably just as relevant as you talking about your wife. We're simply being honest with each other on where we stand before we dive into this new life we're headed for."

"I'm pretty sure you're insinuating something Jena, but my exhaustion is preventing me from even trying to figure it out. So are we good?"

"We're good."

"What now? What are we supposed to do next?"

"Since you mentioned exhaustion, maybe you should go sleep. It's my turn on sentry duty anyway and I'll get to sort my thoughts as well."

"Perhaps you're right. I should head in."

"I'm always right. I am the Alpha."

"Except when you're wrong."

"If you'd be in my pack, you wouldn't say that!"

"Honey, even if I were pack, if you're wrong, you're wrong, and I'll call you up on it every time."

"He just called me honey!"

"I know! Wo-hoo! But I don't think he realized it."

"Probably not."

"Rest well, warmate!"

"I'll try. I'll trust you to watch over us as well, warmate!"

"Will do."

~~~

"Al'Aeen, are you asleep?"

"I've barely put my head down, Vi! What is it?"

"I need to tell you something."

"Can't this wait until tomorrow? I'm really tired."

"No. Because I'll probably change my mind by then. Can we take a walk?"

"Seriously? Can't I just say no?"

"Not this time. Please!?" she says, voice pleading.

"Fine! Let's walk together in the dark instead of wisely resting. For your information, I may randomly fall asleep while you talk. Has happened before."