017

I couldn't sleep.

Every time I closed my eyes all I could see was Kieran's lifeless face and his heart in my hands. I could see Cami's broken face as she sat beside her dead uncle, that I had killed.

I took to keeping myself occupied with a surprise for Hayley instead. I slowly hammered a nail into the wall. I put the hammer down and picked up a small painting inside a square frame. I hung it on the wall below another one. I stepped back and smiled, turning my head to face the crib.

I looked towards the clock that read 6am, which meant everyone was probably still sleeping. I sighed and rubbed my tired eyes as I walked out of the room. I looked over the railings into the courtyard, it was completely empty.

The compound was dark and quiet, it was quite eerie actually. I shuffled along the hallway, trying to block out the thoughts of yesterday. I walked by Hayley's room and a small study. I suddenly heard a loud, scared gasp from the next room. Klaus's. I walked towards it and opened the door. Klaus was sat up in the bed, breathing heavily. He looked frightened.

"Klaus?" I whispered, my dry throat croaking. I cleared my throat, "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing, love." He replied, rubbing a hand over his face, "You should be resting."

I walked closer to the bed, "I can't. All I see when I close my eyes is myself killing Kieran and the look on Cami's face." I swallowed the lump rising in my throat, "I killed someone."

"You've killed before." Klaus said.

"But I've never killed a family member of someone who is important to me, or ripped someone's heart out. Well I have, once before." I sat on the bed beside him. I could feel tears forming, "I'm gonna have to live with that for the rest of my life, along with Cami hating me."

"You haven't spoken to her yet, she'll understand." Klaus replied.

I looked down, "What if she doesn't?"

"She will." Klaus reassured.

I looked up at him and sighed, "Can I stay with you for a while? I feel safe near you."

Klaus' mouth turned into a small smile, "Of course, little one."

I gave him a small smile before sitting against the headboard. He sat beside me. I fiddled with my daylight ring, "What you did for Josh and Davina, giving them the daylight ring spell, that was very kind of you."

"Well, I said I trusted you." Klaus replied, "And you were right that something was dodgy with Genevieve."

"And thank you, for yesterday. You were very selfless, helping Cami." I said. It was silent for a moment before I looked at Klaus, "I wanna talk about what I wanted to last night."

"And what is that, love?" Klaus asked, staring back at me.

"You left. After we had sex, I woke up, you were gone." I bit my bottom lip and looked down to my ring again, "It hurt me, a lot."

"I'm sorry." He replied.

I looked at him, "Are you ashamed to like me, Klaus? Are you so afraid of falling for someone?"