064

The skyline of New Orleans lit the bedroom. It was around 1am. I couldn't sleep at all. It wasn't that the bed I was sleeping on had belonged to someone who had tortured me and tried to kill me. It wasn't about Cami or Davina. It was the thought of what I had done to Klaus and Kol. And how I was stringing them both along.

I tossed and turned but I couldn't get comfortable. Before long, Theo's cries came from the side of the room. He was in a temporary crib that I had asked Hayley to bring, making sure she told nobody where I was. She had also brought a few other supplies for me in a bag. She was the only person I could trust right now.

I didn't even need to be near Theo to know the problem, I could smell it. I threw the covers off and walked towards Theo. I moved his blanket that was wrapped around him. I was about to undo his onesie but saw something that I hadn't noticed before, hanging out of the small pocket.

I furrowed my brows and pulled whatever it was out. It was a small silver necklace. I picked it up, looking closer to see it was a locket. The front was engraved, it read, Always and Forever.

I opened it up to see a picture inside of Klaus and I holding Theo when he was born. I took in a sharp breath. I stared at Klaus who was looking down at Theo, with the widest grin. I closed the locket and put it on the bedside table and returned to what I was doing.

Because no matter what, I couldn't let myself think about either of them. I couldn't be like Katherine and have two brothers. I couldn't be like my doppelgänger, Arabella, who had both Elijah and Klaus loving her. I didn't want this and yet I couldn't help how I felt. It was like I was stuck in a trap and no matter how much I tried to ease the pain, every move made it worse.

But even knowing that, I still glanced back at the necklace.

▂▂▂▂

I groaned at the banging noise coming from the main room. I hesitantly opened my eyes, the morning sun was now shining brightly through the window. I threw the duvet off and got up, checking on Theo who was wriggling around. I smiled down at him before heading into the main room of the apartment.

Klaus was standing at the entrance, hitting his fist against the invisible barrier. He stopped when he felt my presence, "Cassie! What is this?"

"A boundary spell. Keeps unwanted visitors out." I told him.

"And why exactly am I unwanted?" He questioned. I sighed and held my hand in his direction. I chanted an incantation, causing the spell to drop. He held his foot out, testing it before he walked into the apartment, "Of all the places, why here?"

"Because nobody would think to look for me here. I was clearly wrong." I said, walking to the kitchen where Hayley had left a couple of bottles of baby milk and a few bloodbags, "I'm guessing Hayley told you where I was?"

"No, she didn't." He replied. I glanced at him and he averted his gaze, "All right, she gave me a hint and then I caught your scent."

"Great." I replied sarcastically, "Now you know Theo and I are safe, can you leave? I can't be with you right now."

"Right now?" He questioned.

I remained silent, not meaning to have said that as it implied that there was going to be a moment I could be with him. I grabbed a baby bottle and began walking towards the bedroom.