034

I secured the towel around my chest before grabbing another. I ruffled the towel through my wet hair as I walked out of my ensuite. I stopped at the oak wardrobe and began picking out an outfit.

I layed it out on the bed before walking over to the mirror. I picked up a brush and began pulling it through my damp hair before my eyes fell halfway down the mirror. I noticed there was something on my desk. There was a grimoire that I had placed there but there was something new resting on top of it.

It was small but noticeable.

I furrowed my brows in curiosity and turned. I walked over to my desk, placing the brush on it. I picked up the small object, a small lilac cocktail umbrella. I stared at it and began to twirl it in my fingers, triggering a memory.

Early March 2005

I fiddled with the cocktail umbrella in my glass, staring blankly at the rows of alcohol behind the bar. I sat in the same spot as a month ago. The only difference was, I was alone. I clicked the button on my phone, revealing the time. I sighed, going back to staring into oblivion. Suddenly the lilac cocktail umbrella in my glass was pulled out.

"Hand it back, before I gourge your eyes out with it." I said, turning as I finished.

"Feisty." Klaus smirked. My eyes slightly widened when I realised it was him, "I like it."

"Hm. You can keep your eyes... for now." I replied in slight annoyance, "I thought you weren't coming."

"I apologise. I had some business to take care of." Klaus said, still standing. I could see his eyes slightly fog in sadness, "I still do."

I nodded, a small disappointing laugh escaping my lips, "Of course."

"What is that suppose to mean?" He asked, his eyebrows beginning to frown.

"You men always have these secrets, always somewhere to go." I replied, thinking of what Damon did, "Look, we've been meeting every now and then for a month but you keep disappearing. Klaus, if you don't want my company, then just tell me."

"I like your company. I'm beginning to grow fond of you, Cassie, and I can't let it broaden." He stated, "I have to leave."

I stared at him in complete confusion, "What are you talking about?"

He wiped the drink residue off the sharp end of the umbrella with his fingers before pushing back my hair, placing the umbrella gently behind my ear so it rested on it, "I must do this to keep you safe. I have a lot of people that want me dead, I don't want you to be harmed. I do hope one day you understand."

He began to walk away. I took the small umbrella from my hair and chased after him. I grabbed his arm, turning him to face me, "I haven't let someone in for so long because I know they will just walk away. I let you in because I feel a connection. Please, don't be like everyone else. You can't just leave, Klaus."

"My brothers company seems to be safer for you, right now." Klaus replied.

I furrowed my brows, narrowing my eyes, "What? Who's your brother?"

"Elijah." He said, his jaw clenching slightly.

My eyes widened, "Elijah?"