043

I stared at my phone screen, scrolling through some pictures of the two victims that Cami had sent me. I looked at their wounds, mostly the mouth. Either side was sliced, kind of like the Joker. It was such an odd technique.

Why on earth would a vampire drain all the victims blood, then take the time to slit their mouth and string them up for all to see?

The man from Klaus' exhibit sprung to mind. An 'old' friend who appeared into town the same time as these murders. Not to mention, I recognised him from the attacks on me.

I put my phone down and opened my laptop that was sat infront of me. I clicked on the search bar of The New Orleans newspaper before typing in 'Lucien Castle'.

I scanned through the searches before coming to one that wrote about 'Lucien Castle donates $85 million to clean-up project in Bayou Lafourche region'. I furrowed my brows and clicked on it. A video came up of Lucien talking at what appeared to be a press conference. I played the video. As it played, some writing below him appeared.

"Lucien Castle. CEO of Kingsmaker Land Development Inc." I read quietly. I read over it again before my eyes widened, "Kingsmaker Land Development... K. L. D."

I took a deep breath before I turned the volume up on the laptop, listening to Lucien, "Listen to the advice of your superiors, then do better. Study the weaknesses of those who outrank you and eliminate them from your own experience. Authority is meant to be challenged. Great achievers refuse to stand in shadows."

I paused the video, feeling my heart sinking. My attention was taken from the screen when I heard yelling down the hall. I closed the laptop and pocketed my phone before walking out of the study.

"I just left the bodies of people I care about, to rot in the woods because you left them defenseless against poachers." I heard Jackson yell, "Like Kingsmaker Land Development. Does that ring a bell? Yeah, the CEO is Lucien Castle. Elijah tells me you two go way back."

I furrowed my brows as I entered Klaus' room where they all were. Elijah stepped towards Klaus, "So, I will ask you once again, what do you know?"

"As it happens, I just came back from a romp with our good friend Lucien. You can find him in the penthouse of the gaudy new construction on Canal. And while you two are catching up, be sure to ask him about the prophetic vision he showed me of our family's spectacular downfall. You could use a good laugh." Klaus replied.

Elijah pointed to Jackson, "You stay here. Niklaus and I will deal with this."

"Actually, as long as Hayley's prowling about on two legs and unaccounted for, I'm staying with my daughter." Klaus walked towards Jackson, "And, should I discover that this is yet another cock-eyed scheme for Hayley and you to abscond with her, the paltry remains of your beloved wolf pack will be sniffing at your entrails come morning."

Jackson growled at Klaus but he just smuggly smirked as he began walking away. Elijah vamp ran infront of him, "This doesn't frighten you, brother, but, one day, your daughter will know exactly the kind of man that her father is. If anything should happen to Hayley, you mark my words, no one will have to take Hope from you. She will, without question, leave you of her own accord."

Elijah and Jackson both left the room. I shook my head at the things Klaus continued to say about Hayley, "Do you not learn, Klaus?"

"Speaking to me now, are we? I thought you told me to leave you alone, so I did." Klaus frowned. He began to walk away but I vamp ran infront of him, blocking the way.