065

"Klaus..."

He walked closer to me, "I was on my way to the penthouse to check on you both and then I realised, you said you were going back home. And I frequently remember you saying how your home is wherever I am. And well, I live here, and here you are. But what I didn't expect was to see you packing."

I looked to Theo's clothes in my hand, "He can't keep wearing the same clothes in the penthouse."

"Then why not just stay here?" He questioned.

"Because..." I couldn't think of anything, and I couldn't lie.

Klaus tilted his head, "Because you're not going to the penthouse? Because you're leaving the city?"

"I -- uh -- " I stuttered, unable to say anything to make the situation better.

I saw his eyes darken slightly and his jaw clenched, "You want to leave? Then go."

My brows knitted together in sadness as I shook my head, "I don't want to leave, but I can't stay, Klaus. It's the best thing for Theo, to not grow up around all of this death and sadness. Especially not with the prophecy."

"So you want to take him from his family? His father?" He questioned, growing angrier.

"No -- "

He cut me off, " -- then go. Run away, like always. Just leave, Cassie. Go!"

He yelled the last part, his voice shuddering through my body. The tears were uncontrollable and spilled down my face.

He turned around and angrily stormed out but I called after him, "Klaus, please!"

But he didn't return. I pushed my back against the closest wall and let myself drop the the floor. I ran my hand through the top of my hair, clenching it in my fist to try and relieve the pain as I sobbed. I didn't know what I was doing anymore. I was just making a mess of everything and hurting everyone I cared for.

▂▂▂▂

It had been two hours since Klaus had stormed out. I had remained in the compound, calming myself down and then Theo. He was now asleep and I was sitting infront of a canvas, painting. Hayley had come to check on me but I just wanted to be alone.

I dragged the yellow paint upwards from the end of the paintbrush, creating a flame on the candle wick I had painted. It was the last part. I had already painted the table it stood on, two hands holding behind it and the river behind that.

I could feel Klaus' presence suddenly behind me. I put the paintbrush down, "I stayed. Because I'm done running, and I need to fix my problems. I want to face them and I want my son to be with his family."

I waited for his response, but he didn't. I stood up and turned around to face him. My expression dropped in shock at his face, he looked broken. The colour of his face had slightly washed away and he was breathing heavily.

I quickly walked up to him, concerned, "Klaus? What happened? What's wrong?"

"Elijah..." Klaus replied, his voice low.

"What? What did he do?" I asked.

"He killed Marcel. Marcel is dead." Klaus said.

I took in a sharp breath as my brows furrowed in shock, "No. No, no. No."

I wrapped my arms around Klaus to comfort him, pulling him closer to me. Marcel was practically Klaus' son and he was a close friend of mine. The dull, aching feeling appeared in my chest like it had never fully left. I felt Klaus' arms wrap around my body and hold me closer to him.

"I'm here." I whispered to him, "I'm not going anywhere."

▂▂▂▂

I had left Klaus alone in his bedroom for a while to give him some time. I couldn't believe what Elijah had done. He had a hand in killing Davina for good, and now he had actually killed Marcel with his bare hands.

It was like he wanted us to turn against him because what good was ever going to come from this?

As I headed down the hallway, I could see Klaus' door was open but his voice was instead coming from the nursery near it. I walked towards it.

"What better life might have awaited you, were another man your father? All those who have loved me, have lived to regret it. But I do know this, my littlest one, I will do right by you and your sister."

I stopped in the doorway to see Klaus on the rocking chair, holding Theo in his arms. I smiled at the sight. I could see Theo's tiny hand wrapped around Klaus' finger.

"I don't regret it." I suddenly said, making Klaus look up at me, "I just thought you should know that."

"If you didn't, you wouldn't have feelings for my brother." Klaus replied. I broke eye contact and brushed my fingers against the small locket hanging between my collarbones, "What you said earlier... was it true?"

I put my hand back down and looked back at Klaus. I nodded, "Yeah. I'm done running."

"And about keeping Theo with his family?" He asked.

"I lost my parents and after that I never really had a family. I don't want my son to be the same. I want him to be surrounded by people that love him and would do anything for him. Not confused and alone with nobody to turn to."

"You're not alone." Klaus said, his deep blue eyes locked on mine.

I tilted my head a little, "I was talking about Theo."

Klaus stood and placed Theo in his crib before facing me. Klaus shook his head a little, "I know that you meant that speech for Theo, but I'm certain, it was about you too. And I know you're afraid of being neglected or forgotten but I need you to realise that you never will be."

I began to grow sad at the thought, "And how do you know that, Klaus?"

"Because I haven't stopped thinking about you for nine years. From the day I met you in that bar. And there have been more obstacles than I can count, but I never, not for a second, stopped loving you. And I will never leave you."

My heart beat picked up pace at his words, as did the feeling inside of me. And as much as I wanted to run into his arms, I couldn't, purely for the fact of hurting Kol. And I needed time to think, and deal with this without anyone getting hurt or losing either of them.

I stared at him a moment longer in silence before speaking, "You should get some rest, it's been a long and difficult day."

He nodded, "You should too."

I took in a deep breath and nodded, "Yeah, I'll see you in the morning."

I walked over to Theo's crib to see he was asleep. I placed a small blanket over him before pressing a gentle kiss to his forehead. I felt Klaus stand beside me, "He has your eyes, you know." I continued to watch Theo, a smile growing on my lips.

A/N
There's only one chapter (of this book) left
😭