046

"Klaus." I yelled loud enough to fill the compound.

I stared down at the note in my hand, reading over it. I moved the note and looked down to the floor to the dead woman on the courtyard floor. The surface around her was completely covered in blood, her wrists were slit and her body was covered in lavender flowers.

"So, my first sired wants to kill you. Yours wants to kill me. Makes you regret turning vampires in the first place." I heard Klaus' voice getting closer.

"Well, the division of labor seems crystal clear, two of them, two of -- " Elijah stopped as they entered the courtyard, noticing the womans body on the floor, "...us."

"'Roses are red, lavender is blue. Come find me before I find you.'" I read aloud the note to them. They both stared at me, clearly understanding what this meant. I handed Klaus the paper and he read over it as Elijah examined the body.

"I remember her a better poet." Klaus scowled.

"Who is her?" I asked.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that this is lacking in poetry." Elijah replied, staring at the body.

"She wants us to find her." Klaus threw the note onto the body, "So let's."

"Are you so eager, Niklaus? Last time you even said her name was a thousand years ago, when you told me to never speak it again in your presence." Elijah replied.

Klaus frowned, "So, am I to wait as she leaves her little calling-cards all over my home?"

"Will you two stop ignoring me. Who are you talking about?" I asked, growing impatient.

"Aurora." Elijah replied.

My mouth slightly dropped in shock and I looked to Klaus, "Aurora? The girl that you and Lucien fell for? She's still alive?"

Klaus remained silent but Elijah nodded, "Yes."

"What did you do after you accidentally turned Lucien? Turn everyone you ever met?" I frowned.

Elijah glanced at Klaus before facing away from him, "There's something you should know. When Mother seized control of my mind, unleashing those monstrosities that lurk behind the red door... I saw something. Aurora was there."

Klaus frowned, "If you mean to confess a thousand-year-old secret that will divide us after our hard-won reconciliation, then te absolvo, brother, there is nothing you could have done involving her that would be worse than what she did to me."

"Please do not dismiss this, Niklaus -- "

Klaus inteurpted, " -- whatever it is, it can wait. We have a plate of here-and-now problems, and I mean to clear it. If it makes you feel any better, we can kill Aurora together. Then neither of us need play her little mind-games ever again."

"Great, have fun." I said sarcastically before heading towards the entrance of the compound.

"And where are you going?" Klaus shouted as I walked.

I spun on my heels, "I know you aren't one for keeping good acquaintances, but me? Well, I actually have decent friends to see." I turned back around and left the compound.

▂▂▂▂

The streets of New Orleans were full once again. There were many stalls along the path and people drinking. Some were dressed up and partying. Cami, Vincent and I were standing on the corner of the street, watching them.