054

"The taxpayers of New Orleans deserve a skilled Chief of Police." Klaus' voice echoed through the hallway as I stood in the upstairs living room with Freya and Elijah. They were talking about something as I listened to Klaus, "How inept are you if not a single one of your men can locate the woman I seek?"

"We're tryin'! She's a ghost!" A man's voice replied in fright and as though he was struggling against something. I frowned in concern and began to head for the door.

Klaus continued, "Aurora de Martel is rather petite and may indeed be able to slip through the cracks like a wicked little cricket, but she is not a ghost. Not yet. I think this city's finest could try a little bit harder, hm?"

I walked down the hallway to see Klaus dangling a police officer over the railing. The man was petrified. Klaus' head turned to mine as I approached him. I sighed, "Klaus, for God's sake, let the man go."

Klaus shrugged and opened up the palm of his hand, the man instantly dropping to the courtyard floor below. Klaus was still staring at me, a small smug smile stretching on his lips. I narrowed my eyes at him, "That's not what I meant."

Klaus walked towards the living room, "He'll live. And he'll remember to do better."

I rolled my eyes and followed him into the room where Elijah and Freya were still sat. Freya's eyes met her brothers, "I see we're in for another normal family breakfast. Is all this torture necessary?"

Klaus ignored her question completely and sat down on the sofa. He looked towards the hallway and shouted out to it, "Where have you been?"

At that moment, Marcel entered the room with an unamused look on his face, "I was making sure that the Strix and their witches are out trying to find your loony ex-girlfriend. Is that okay by you?"

Elijah sighed, "Gentlemen, please."

Marcel frowned, not obeying Elijah's attempt to stop the fighting, "All of our heads are on the chopping block because he lost the one thing that can kill an Original."

I crossed my arms and moved closer to Marcel, "It's not his fault that Cami was waving the white oak around like a kite, or that Aurora made a deal with one of your witches."

Marcel glanced at me, "Oh, yeah, it is."

Klaus pushed himself to his feet, instantly standing between Marcel and I. Klaus faced me, an annoyed expression spread across his face, "I'm quite capable of defending myself, thank you, Cassie."

My emotions had been getting the better of me lately because of the pregnancy. And today was no different. I frowned at Klaus, "I am trying to help you, you don't have to be an ass."

"What you should be doing is resting. Not helping find Aurora." Klaus replied, his eyes locked on mine for a moment before he glanced at Freya, "It's not as though I can cast a spell to find Aurora."

"Don't turn this on Freya, Klaus." I yelled, walking towards him, "She has been working non-stop to try and find your psychotic ex, who might I add, tried to kill me and did infact kill Cami. So, no. I will not rest until she is found and dead at my hands."

Klaus' breathing became heavier as the anger seemed to grow. He began moving forward which caused me to walk backwards, "You do not leave this house. Aurora is mine to end. As for Freya, she will do what I say or next will be her head on a spike."

I felt a burning inside of me at his words. My hand latched around his throat and I slammed him into the wall behind at vamp speed, "You want to threaten your family whilst they're trying to stop you all getting killed? You have some serious issues."