063

I opened the door and headed into Marcel's old jazz club. It was empty and dimly lit. I walked cautiously through the main room, "Hello?"

There wasn't a response. I made my way towards the bar and picked up a bottle of bourbon and a glass. I began to pour the bourbon into it before a voice appeared, "And here I thought you only drank away your problems in daylight."

I put the bottle down and turned my head to see Kol standing in the doorway. I let go of the bottle and glass, frowning in confused, "Kol? What are you doing here?"

"I called him." Josh said, walking in from behind him.

"Josh!" I whisper-yelled, "I called you because I needed to talk to you and see how you were."

"Which I am incredibly thankful for, Cassie. But I kinda need to be on my own." He said, he glanced at Kol before back to me, "And we both know you'd much rather talk to Kol."

I raised an eyebrow, "Do we?"

He nodded, "Yes. I'm gonna go home." He grabbed the bourbon off the bar surface, "And I'm taking this."

And with that, he left the building, leaving just Kol and I to stand awkwardly in silence. I moved towards the bar again and pulled out another bottle of bourbon. I held it up as I glanced at him, "Drink?"

He nodded before walking closer, "If it helps you."

I unscrewed the lid and began pouring it into my glass, "Nothing is going to help me. Alcohol will just numb it for a while."

I grabbed another glass and poured some of the alcohol into it. I placed the bottle on the surface. I picked up both glasses in either hand, holding one towards Kol. He took it, "So, can I not help?"

"I called Josh because he is the only one that understands what I'm going through. He lost the same two people as I." I told him. I took a large swig of bourbon, "Of course, he was more friends with Davina, but he cared for Cami too."

Kol put his glass down on the bar, "I am sorry for your losses, Cassie."

I let out a sad bitter laugh, "Every one is just so sorry. It doesn't do a lot of good, they're still dead."

"Davina talked about you." He said, moving closer, "Quite a bit, actually. Even when I was in that witch, Kaleb's, body, and she hadn't a clue who I was. She told me how you put your life at risk, put her life over yours and others just to keep her alive. She was incredibly grateful."

"Yeah, well, I clearly didn't do a good enough job." I replied, downing the rest of the alcohol. I put the glass on the bar surface.

"Davina looked up to you." Kol continued, "She may have hated my siblings for what they put her through, but she never, not for a second, hated you."

"Maybe not." I said, meeting his eyes, "But if I hadn't ran from the compound that day, I could have saved her from Elijah and Freya."

Kol stepped closer, "You have to stop blaming yourself for this, Cassie. You can not stop the inevitable."

"Inevitable? So, you think this is part of the prophecy?" I questioned rhetorically before frowning, "This stupid prophecy means nothing, because your family have brought death wherever they go. For more than a thousand years. And maybe I've become a part of it because it follows me too, and it takes everyone that I care about."